Why is it so hard to buy a car

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Why is it so hard to buy a car

Postby ChrisM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 pm

I want a new cc.
Not as in brand new but new to me time to retire the 04 beast.
So.......
Looked so far at 4 mk3 cc's
1st one 3 hr drive, white, all cars on pitch washed bar the cc?? Soaked inside and stinking mold on seat belts specific question asked on phone before travel, DOES IT LEAK! No was the answer dealer now blaming staff for leaving back window open last night. Yea right 3 hours back home we went.... :evil:

2nd one, red just under 3 hrs. SOLD!!! 3 days earlier but sales manger tried to say we wanted the 1.4 petrol cc which is why he said it was still there before we left this morning apart from we asked about about the RED 1.9 DCi not the black 1.4 the.
So back home we went very um annoyed shall we say. :twisted:

3rd one, black another 3 hour run. Made sure it was not sold, double check it is the 1.9 DCI and it does not leak everything confirmed so off we go... Well it was a shed the paint work dubious the roof only started to open then stopped,driver seat damaged and badly bodged to look good on camera tyres not good and one key card of which salesman cheerfully said..... EBay £10 and £20 from Renault to code it :devil 1st when was the last time Renault did anything for £20 2nd these cards are hard coded to chassis code for each vehicle and can not be swapped after explaining this and the condition of vehicle he got right shifty and asked what I expected for £7k.
Another disappointing ride home. :-(

Last one, 2 hrs away white gt line. All above question asked "again" all OK so off we go. On arrival price had gone UP (that's a new one) to £7,779. Obviously ii asked why, well that was just a special offer which has finished and it is a GT so it has the 1.9 diesel sport engine with 16 valves pushes out 150bhp it has sports suspension as standasstandasr ad well, when questioned about cambelt (6 years or 96k) well at an 11 plate it is due and was told with complete distain its a chain driven engine.
He got quite annoyed when I told home its a standard f9q engine same as in my 04 the gtline is a trim level not an engine upgrade he had a bit of a melt down ...
Another wasted trip. :sad

Why is it so hard to buy a car, why do car sales have to openly lie to you about condition and simply not know their vehicles, then look surprised you don't want to part with £7k.

Looks like the old girl might not be retiring as soon as I thought unless someone wants to buy her.
Asking price £10 but will be a grand when you get here its a 1.9 DCI sport engine ish puts out 120 bhp or 150 but it could also be a 1.4 petrol leaks only if it rains but I left the roof off by mistake comes with two keys both off ebay and colour well its what ever colour you want when you get here it will be silver.
SOLD? :D :D :D :banghead

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Re: Why is it so hard to buy a car

Postby q292u » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:31 pm

:D I love dodgy car dealers. Is there any other kind?

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Seems not ....
Ah well life is full of surprises I might just find a genuine one.

Mmmmmmmm not going to hold breath death might ensue. :cry

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:39 pm

Have you considered private sales and then get one of those 3 year warranty things?

We bought our Ford S max with the warranty from AA for 3 years for £600. The automatic gearbox failed after 6 months and cost AA £4500.00 to replace it, so got our moneys worth. At first they were reluctant to pay and tried to claim they wanted to open the gearbox and look first, but we argued that since its automatic you cant just put it back together again afterwards.

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:43 pm

There was a time I was tempted to go for the megane 3 cc but it would have to be the 2.0dci 160 bhp. But I discovered they didnt sell that engine in the phase 2 and its very rare. Now I am waiting to see what renault will do about the new megane 4, will they make a megane cc, I might consider it but it depends what the RS looks like. If its anything like the difference between the standard new clio and the clio RS then that would take the fun out from modifying it. The megane 3 rs looks a bit different from the standard so might look at that next when the megane dies.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:59 pm

Believe it or not at present there are not that many out there that are good (I have an aqantance in a renault dealership) so he checks history for me.
Not that many private sales out there either hoping they would pick up in April.
There is a 2.0dci gt in black I am coverting but at 9k its 2k more than I would pay for a car I draw the line at 7k.
We'll see what happens next month.

BrotherPlasterer
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 2 1.6 VVT Dynamique

Postby BrotherPlasterer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:09 pm

You are more than welcome to buy mine.
:-)
Megane cc 2 2005 1.6 vvt.petrol.Gold (Posing tackle)

New timing belt kit, new tyres, new window modules.new engine supports top right and bottom.
Roof goes up and down as expected.
Drives super smooth.
Alarm packed in last month, goes off after 30 seconds.suspect bonnet switch because this only happened after i changed spark plugs. I must have leaned on something.i attempted a fix by cleaning switch etc but no difference.

£1300
First one to see will buy :shock:

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Found them underpowered.
Tried about 5 of them before the 1.9disel there where some cracking millages out there and really cheap but every single one flat no guts at all.
So I tried the diesel which was my first one always had petrols and a lot better still a bit flat but driveable.
The 1.4 tce is the same flat and you pay £230 road tax for that where as the mk3 diesel is £145 or a mark2 phase2 at 130bhp £185.
SO sorry but not for me a 1.6 mk2 or a mk3 1.4 petrol or for that matter a 2ltr petrol purley for stupid road tax on it spoils the fun in owner ship.
To be fair nowt wrong with the beast either all works finw just high miles had her coming on 8 years now so a bit board and fancy a change but spec on mk3 doesn't seem that good either. We'll see.

BrotherPlasterer
Just Passed

Postby BrotherPlasterer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:35 pm

If there is nothing wrong with your beast then keep hold of it. Better the devil you know and all that. :evil:
:-)

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:07 pm

Had it 8 years now so you just get board with it but I do guess that once the next one breaks a few times I will wish I never got rid.
End of day we all move on other wise I would still be in my mini clubman apart from it went on fire due to spotlamps and celotape not a good mix but you get the jist of it!
I do feel it is better to sell a car with nothing wrong with it because there is no rush to get rid but if it (goes on fire!!) Or has serious problems you are forced to get rid and buy 1st car you find that's just OK.
So time to move on but I will be sad to see it go but I can't match the spec as well so far.

BrotherPlasterer
Just Passed

Postby BrotherPlasterer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:00 pm

I have to admit I'm finding it hard to let go of mine.
I bought a fiesta a month or so ago and have been tweaking the megane ready for selling but I keep thinking, nowt wrong with having two cars!

Return to “Megane CC”