300 mile Welsh trip for fish & chips

Share details of a trip that you've been on in your Megane II.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

craggle
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9 DCi Dynamique

300 mile Welsh trip for fish & chips

Postby craggle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 pm

Took my car for a blast yesterday to New Quay and back. Covered 304 miles and averaged 51.3 mpg so I'm quite chuffed with that. It's a bit of tradition to take any new car of ours for a blast somewhere, even if it's just for fish & chips and an icecream! The car really impresses round bends so I'm not quite so gutted now I didn't end up with a 306, this will do :)
Came back through the Elan Valley which is a favorite of mine and took some picss. I LOVE Welsh roads.
On the New Quay car park:

The road ahead..........watch them sheep!!

I could of stopped every 100 yards to take some photos.

I think this is going to be the most photographed car I've owned, can't wait for the next trip.

anth_dci
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II DCi 120 Dynamique 52 plate

Re: 300 mile Welsh trip for fish & chips

Postby anth_dci » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:17 pm

what 306 were you after? i loved my old phase 1 GTi6. the megane looks spot on.
Megane II dynamique 1.9 DCI 120bhp, 5 door, 52 plate.

craggle
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9 DCi Dynamique

Postby craggle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:12 am

I'm a diesel head and I was after a very late HDI estate. I used to own one a while back and loved it. They're easily tunable upto 150+bhp which was what I was planning. The end of the line diesels had GTI suspension and brakes(I think) and would of been a real sleeper if I'd done it. I went to have a look at one and the Megane was at the same dealer. My wife didn't like how dated the 306 looked compared to the Renault, so an extra grand and I came home with this. I can't wait to start tuning it, the chassis can definately handle it. I'm going to look into a decat first (a bit more difficult than my last few diesels) and then a remap. Depending on funds and whether these engines can take it, I'd like to uprate the intercooler, turbo and clutch and take closer to 180bhp. It's easy to do this on a HDI as you can buy more or less everything to fit direct and lots of people have already done it, but this car is going to be a little trickier. Looking forward to it though :-)

jasonleah1
Currently Drives:: 2003 Renault Megane 1.9dci Estate,
2006 Vauxhall Zafira VXR
1988 Ford Capri 280.

Postby jasonleah1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:06 pm

300 mile for fish and chips, were they worth it?? Last year my 3 year old daughter, wife and myself drove to Weston Super-Mare at about 11pm as my little one couldn't sleep, we got there, brought a kebab and drove home again, abour 220 mile round trip, everyone thought i was daft..... But it got my littleone to sleep, to be honest she was fast asleep about 15 miles from home, but there's nothing like a good drive... And on the plus side it was the best tasting kebab i've ever had...

Stringer
Currently Drives:: 07 Renault Megane estate VVT 1598cc petrol silver

Postby Stringer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi guys...just had to put my 10 cents in here...
You remind me so much of me some years ago now I'm afraid, when I used to buy the odd car being in the motor trade back then.
My late wife bless her soul and me would test drive our cars mainly late at night when the roads tended to be quieter.
Off too Skegness mainly we would go, only 60 mls from were we lived then and 60 mls back. Fish n chips when we got there and the lovely run...
It could be chucking it down...it wouldn't have mattered. I remember buying a Renault 30 with the V6 in it once...wowooo she was powerful and comfy, oh and a little thirsty lol.
Oh they were the days...

Regards to you all

Jon

Return to “Megane II Adventures”