Megane gone (as well)

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Megane gone (as well)

Postby pw981 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:02 pm

Again, I've too finally let my Megane go. I've had it since March 2005 - It was registered February 2004.

Similar reason to Andy as to why I've gotten rid of mine, it had 131,300 miles, and the turbo blew about 5 weeks ago. I do miss it a lot - very sad to see it go! Still finding the ins and outs of a white Auris T180 + TMS bodykit I've replaced it with. I'll post some pics up soon too!
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Megane gone (as well)

Postby Stranger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:52 pm

All the best with new one :tu
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

AndyAdmin
Site Admin

Postby AndyAdmin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:02 pm

All the best with the new car mate!!!

stick some pics up when you get chance id love to see it!
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Beer Reviews Beer Blog

It's Chilli up North.

madwedge
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2004 Renault Megane 2.0 litre 16v VVT Dynamique

Postby madwedge » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Have you gotten rid of it already mate?? I'm after the square plastic surround for where the clock is on top of the dash. That's if you're scrapping it that is!
Currently Driving: 2004 Renault Mégane Dynamique 2.0 litre 16v VVT

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:57 pm

madwedge, I part ex'ed it.

I do have a few items for sale though, which I'll post up in due course. Same with a photo of my T180 too!

:cool:
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Health to drive chum.

Lets hope the new motor is as good to you.

P

pw981
Rally Driver

Postby pw981 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:32 pm

for anyone who is interested - a little update on the Auris 2.2 180 I have.

I bought it in Jan 11, it was registered in July 2007. It had 38,000miles on the clock - it now has 77,000miles.

In no specific order i've had the following replaced under warranty and the toyota extended warranty (which I renewed this January and will expire Jan 16 when the car will be 8.5 years old)

- all door check straps
- drivers side cup holder mechanism (broke)
- steering column (due to a rattle)
- rear pads (corrosion)
- drivers seat base (loose. This wasn't covered under warranty - I complained to Toyota via twitter and they covered the cost when the car was 5 years old)
- drivers door seal (dealer damaged)
- DPF differential pressure sensor and OSF driveshaft which the dealer damaged
- 2x aux belt and tensioner (squeal)
- new clutch @ 55,000 miles (rattle)
- intermediate steering shaft @ 73,000 miles (knocking noise)
- alternator @ 73,000 miles (failing - noise and smell)

... and the best till last. A new engine at 70,000 miles due to a design fault causing excessive oil consumption. This was covered by a Toyota goodwill policy extended to 7yrs/112,000miles so it was not claimed for under my own toyota warranty.

All of the above cost me nothing - apart from time and travel to the dealer.

Costs outside of the above are consumables - brakes/tyres but i did get the drop links changed @ 68,000 miles.

Servicing is cheap at Toyota, £135 for a minor, £205 or £275 for a major dependent on what needs replacing. Brake fluid is suppose to be an additional cost, but the dealer I use includes it.

Am I happy?

Yes.

The dealer I use is excellent and makes me want to buy another Toyota - it's a shame there isn't a model i'd actually want to buy though! Maybe a GT86 but I need the 5 doors and practicality.

Do I miss the Renault?

Yes.

I admit, sometimes I feel like the Auris is a bit boring. I dunno how to pinpoint it because it drives better than the Megane (in my opinion) but it's just.. a bit boring?

I don't know how to post a pic up here - I said I would over 3 years ago! any help?
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

Stranger
Site Admin

Postby Stranger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Good to hear that you're happy with the Toyota, that's where I am heading after 7 years with Subaru and, most recently just over 3 years with Skoda in an Octavia vRS, my Subaru's were faultless but expensive to run and the Octy has been very good giving a super drive with great economy, It's not been faultless but then I've only had my Subaru's that have been.

Subaru dealers were good and Subaru UK was very good. Skoda dealers and Skoda UK have been blooming awful :x

To post a pic you need to host it somwewhere like Photobucket then copy and paste the img tag in to your post ;)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:03 pm

This does not look as anything close to what one calls a reliable car! The brakes, seat, electrics, steering column, steering shaft, clutch, drive shaft, the whole engine eventually... :shock:
How did the dealer manage to break a driveshaft? It is a pretty robust piece of metal! Can it be the other way round - the driveshaft broke the dealer..?

You really like this girl, don't you?

pw981 wrote:...In no specific order i've had the following replaced under warranty and the toyota extended warranty (which I renewed this January and will expire Jan 16 when the car will be 8.5 years old)

- all door check straps
- drivers side cup holder mechanism (broke)
- steering column (due to a rattle)
- rear pads (corrosion)
- drivers seat base (loose. This wasn't covered under warranty - I complained to Toyota via twitter and they covered the cost when the car was 5 years old)
- drivers door seal (dealer damaged)
- DPF differential pressure sensor and OSF driveshaft which the dealer damaged
- 2x aux belt and tensioner (squeal)
- new clutch @ 55,000 miles (rattle)
- intermediate steering shaft @ 73,000 miles (knocking noise)
- alternator @ 73,000 miles (failing - noise and smell)

... and the best till last. A new engine at 70,000 miles due to a design fault causing excessive oil consumption. This was covered by a Toyota goodwill policy extended to 7yrs/112,000miles so it was not claimed for under my own toyota warranty.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

pw981
Rally Driver

Postby pw981 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:41 pm

I definitely agree Alex! - I certainly did not expect this with a Toyota.

Re: driveshaft - from memory, I think they rounded off a nut? This was my local dealer of whom I no longer use. They were ok at best.

In 2012 a relative bought a 10 year old Mazda 323 1.5 - I had a drive / experience of it and the build quality and 'feel' of the car was completely different to mine. If it wasn't for the dealer service I'd have gotten rid a long time ago!

In 2009 another relative bought a Megane III 1.5dCi 106, sold it at 3.5 years and it was almost faultless. Drivers door check strap was changed. Really really good in my opinion!

I wonder what the Megane 4 will look like? I may make a return! :cool:
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:24 pm

...and still the dealer is keeping you happy somehow... Isn't it their secret weapon? A happy smile when driving is a thing which matters. I've got an RS for the same reason, I mean the smile.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

pw981
Rally Driver

Postby pw981 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:14 am

hello everyone!

Thought I'd stop by to say hello...

I still have the Auris - 112,000 miles and 10 years old.

- Passed every MOT
- Still on original battery (how I have no idea....)
- Nothing major has gone wrong (apart from my previous posts!)

My Megane at 7 years old 130k vs Auris at 10 years old 112k

- The interior of the Megane was worn - interior door handles showing signs of wear, rattles etc - the Auris still looks and feels solid even though it is very plastic

- Not one random electrical fault which sorted itself with an engine restart in the Auris - the Megane every now and then would throw a random electrical fault or the wipers would stop working randomly which was always solved with an engine restart?

- I regularly clean / cleaned the EGR valves in both cars - Megane was always sludgy black stuff - the Auris is dry, black powdery stuff

Would I get another Toyota?
Maybe an Auris Hybrid but it's a bit lacking in the performance dept for me.

Would I get another Renault?
I like the latest Megane GT NAV TCe 205 - watch this space!

Would I get another diesel?
No - I don't do the miles anymore and I'm sick of cleaning EGR Valves!
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

Stranger
Site Admin

Postby Stranger » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Thanks for the update, glad all is currently well :-)

Looked at a Rav4 business spec 2.5 petrol hybrid the other week and was very impressed. Consequently it's on my short list of cars for when my lease runs out next year, what's the others? BMW 1 series, VW Polo, Vw Golf, Skoda octavia Scout, Volvo v40, Volvo XC40.

This Honda CRV I have at the mo' has been, without a doubt the most hideous car I've ever owned, well, leased. In the first 18 months it was back in the dealers 4 times with problems, one of which took a week to resolve and the other issues mean I've been without it for full days. On top of that it is awful to drive, under powered, full of rattles, build quality is sadly lacking and it's not very economical either.

Return to “Everything Else”