Advice on buying a house

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

wanda
F1 Driver

Advice on buying a house

Postby wanda » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:27 am

Hello everyone. Being a great fan of procreation, I intend to make my wife pregnant with twins or 2 more babies before she hits forty (dont tell her as I will surprise her with the good news, even though men dont take the pill but never mind). Forty is the cut off as I dont want to be over 55 when my kids become teenagers if, God willing ofcaurce. As a result we intend to buy a bigger place.

My current commuting time is roughly 50min to 1h15min depending on what mood the M25 is in.

Do you guys think it would be worth commuting an extra 45 minutes if it meant getting a bigger place? A chap at work recently quit because he said after 18 years it got too much for him. God willing I should still have another 30 years of working life left in me so made me wonder how much of a role should commuting take when considering a house or should location trump the house?

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Advice on buying a house

Postby Stranger » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:02 pm

I commuted 3 hours return each day to work locations up to the time I got to about 22 and it was fine, I was young and there was a lot less traffic about. Would I do it now at 48? No chance!

My current daily commute is 30 mins max return which is OK in my book.

I've a 38 year old friend who currently commutes about 2.5 hours return each day and has been doing that for 15 years, he recently said that he's planning on packing it in solely due to the commute.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:02 pm

Wanda,

If the figures are for one way, then the average 2 hours twice a day will add up to 20 hours a week of extra workload. Too much.

The idea about the procreation is great - the world needs more petrolheads!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:14 pm

Bitcoin has doubled its value since September. It can be a way of getting new houses and cars... Please have a look at the exchange rates!
https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from= ... BP&view=1Y
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

Postby petepete » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:30 pm

My advice would be to sell up , find somewhere to rent and buy in two years....

London house prices are in decline, interest rates will be going up, people who own buy to let will be dumping their property into the market and although it takes time to filter through ... you can clearly see hard times lie ahead and the PM warned of this a year and a half ago...

I have several "shorts" on house builders that peaked and are now reaching a critical stage on charts expecting them to break to the negative side of a "pennant" that's been forming some weeks now...

Interestingly talk of it is now reaching the public via news.

AlexB.. be careful with bit coin.. doesn't make sense to keep it there as interest rates rise and the long tem chart doest instill confidence.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:32 am

Petepete,
Of course, one has to be "careful", by which you probably meant intelligent. Please note, I was only talking about the past, not future - the future knowledge is not free!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Everything Else”