unusual problems.......

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bidderman1969
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: kia Optima
Citroen C3 Pluriel
Renault Megane CC

unusual problems.......

Postby bidderman1969 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:03 pm

right, its a pretty long one this, be quite helpful if anyone can help though.

cars been sitting for a pretty long time as i lost the key, so you really are looking at least 6 months, but the car hasn't done any miles since the last MoT, so as it has=d an MoT booked in for today, yesterday i put the recharged battery on and fired it up, bit lumpy, but drivable i suppose, random drivers window opening, then not going up, then you could hear it in the door trying to go down again while it was already down, lol, anyhow, today notice tyres were quite flat, so all pumped up and then noticed the dash instrument cluster, where all the info is, mileage, etc, was blank, hhhhmmm, great, anyhow, got to the MoT station, late, but they popped it in, top guys! anyhow, i was expecting a mega fail, but it passed!, few advisories mind, so, it was also booked in for an electrical diagnosis, it beeped as soon as you moved off, then random beeping, so turned up......

and they got me in an hour earlier than i was booked in for, good! came back with 39 faults!!!! oooooo-er.

so, roof fault? well in the diagnostics tool, it said "opening and closing procedure too long" WTF???? unbelievable really, so is it probably the motor then? even the chap seemed a bit surprised by that one, even said "roof fully closed" and "roof fully open" in the diag tool, other stuff were random open circuits, solenoids, but we didn't know how long the codes were there for, so deleted them, and see if any came back,

so as i went to go, again, as soon as i hit like 5 mph, the beeping started again, so he plugged it all back, tried various stuff to no effect, did throw up another random fault,

then i said was there anyway to turn off the audable beeping warnings? tried driving with no seatbelt on, but that was a different sound, bit deeper beeping, so we tried removing the dash clocks, and the beeping wasn't there when driving off, so at least we know where the beeping comes from, plugged them back in, and the dash instrument cluster info came back, all the mileage etc, so, "uh ha" we thought, it might pop up the warning message when it beeps as we drive off, but no, beeping was still there, but no message, so we had to leave it really as i had to drop it off elsewhere, but i noticed when i drove 0.2 miles it went off, then came back at random distances, lasting no specific time.

also what came up as a permanent fault was "cylinder 3 misfire" that got worse on my way to the last drop off which threw up the flashing engine management light which lead to a "check injection" warning on the dash info, this was the dash when it came back to life.....

so, a few problems there, and ideas chaps? would the miss-fire more than likely be coil pack? and would it descend into "check injection" if it was kept driving?

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: unusual problems.......

Postby ChrisM » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Coil pack or plug.
I have a diesel I get check injection when it pops a glow plug

bidderman1969
Passed Theory
Citroen C3 Pluriel
Renault Megane CC

Postby bidderman1969 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:55 pm

was thinking that myself, so will go with that first i thinks.

what about the other bits and pieces

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Is the roof locking in place fully you random bleeping could be the roof moving unexpectedly and activating a warning which could be your roof operation to long warning as it senses the start of the operation but not getting a signal to inform roof ecu movement complete.
Not sure where all the sensors are for roof op but some years back on here someone was moaning about bleeping and knocking from roof when moving turns out it was a dry roof lock not fully engaging.
If it does not bleep with roof off ur getting closer. Left standing for a long time the chances are you have either a dry or contaminated electrical connector somewhere. Need to narrow it down to were somehow. Could even be door locks you get an audible warning if a door is not shut fully so you might be getting a false signal from that. Cars are too complicated these days far too much electronics going on.

BrotherPlasterer
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 2 1.6 VVT Dynamique

Postby BrotherPlasterer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Ok, this may be too obvious but did you change the petrol/diesel and the oil before driving it?
Nothing to do with roof but would cause misfires I guess.

bidderman1969
Passed Theory
Citroen C3 Pluriel
Renault Megane CC

Postby bidderman1969 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:59 am

could it be roof motor giving up the ghost? old hydraulic oil?

bidderman1969
Passed Theory
Citroen C3 Pluriel
Renault Megane CC

Postby bidderman1969 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:01 am

also, with regards to the random beeping, could it be a faulty speedo cluster?

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:28 pm

Interesting responces dodgy fuel doubtful it would affect 1 cylinder car would run like a bag of nails on old fuel here we have a specific cylinder u have 3 options plug, pencil coil or conector. Roof motor?? Not reported a roof operation issue apart from origonal but roof op itself no issue so I doubt its motor more a sensor issue I would think instruments cluster possible personally I would start simple car left standing for a long period I would check connections and lockss etc first .

bidderman1969
Passed Theory
Citroen C3 Pluriel
Renault Megane CC

Postby bidderman1969 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:28 pm

can see what you're saying Chris, but on diag machine, it never threw up a sensor for the roof fault, all it was, was that it took too long to open and close

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:16 pm

Maybe a sluggish roof pump or dry hinges not sure how it reads its operating values if its on the pump operation time or if the top of screen locks tell it manovre finished.
Its really hard to get any info on how this roof works.
Here is an insight into an eos.
Came in with roof issue, roof warning light on. We changed roof motor after diag seem some one else had looked at it 1st and failed to fix it. It came back 2 weeks later roof warning light back on, diag code was roof manovre failed to complete.
It was booked in for that and fit boot hooks????.
Boot hooks these are part of the boot close and lock system simply a rod is pushed against a spring loaded hook which pulls boot lid down tight on seal after roof operation open/close they had been removed by previous garage, we simply put spring back on turned hook .slightly to give tension and pushed it into oblong mount did both sides and tried roof........ Works fine and ,eh? Roof warning light gone out...how?
No sensors on this section of roof op, no sensors on hooks, no sensors around boot lid to report on boot lid height????? How? We think it might be in the boot lock as there is no where else to get a reading from, I work for a VW dealership and we couldn't figure it out.
Off track I know but just shows how something so obscure can cause an issue.
Haven't seen it since so it must be ok.
Diag machine couldn't tell which sensor was at fault just reporting failed to complete and all it was two silly hooks, removed, vehicle didn't sense boot pull down so manovre not complete we only out them back because customer asked us to didn't even know they where missing.

bidderman1969
Passed Theory
Citroen C3 Pluriel
Renault Megane CC

Postby bidderman1969 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 pm

thought id update this, sorted the running issue, changed coil packs and spark plugs

thats what all the plugs were like

all new coil packs and plugs

BrotherPlasterer
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 2 1.6 VVT Dynamique

Postby BrotherPlasterer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Amazing.
Good call ChrisM :rock

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:21 pm

My pleasure glad I could help. It a great feeling as well, fixing it yourself build confidence and knowledge makes these cars less scary and the big plus less damage on your finances.

Return to “Megane CC”