Pioneer TS-Q131C

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

hannson
Advanced Driver

Postby hannson » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:55 am

chrislloydie wrote:Cheers for those mate, I ordered a set this morning online and hopefully I won't get a phone call/email telling me they are out of stock.
Looking forward to getting them fitted asap.
Thanks again!
chris
is it still in stock?

europa
Just Passed

Postby europa » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:50 am

I've just installed a set and documented my experiences here for anyone who is interested!

http://users.bigpond.com/MSN/matthew_bowden/8gordini/TS-Q131C.pdf
'05 2l Manual Pearl Black Megane LXR Dynamique 5-Door

Alonso225
Passed Theory

My experience with the TS-Q131C (and a steep learning curve!

Postby Alonso225 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:37 am

europa wrote:I've just installed a set and documented my experiences here for anyone who is interested!

First of All Europa, I have to (collectively) thank you for the effort you put in your document. I was really pleased and positively surprised of your results.

Now on the technical side...

I, like you, opted for not changing the original Head Unit (My mrs also drives the car and does not want to change the look & feel of the dash with an aftermarket HU, regardless of the improvement in sound). So the only way out to improve the sound was to go for the TS-Q131Cs.

In my case, and out of impatience and (ignorance) I bought a pair of Alpine E-Series speakers, guiding myself by their brochure that suggested them as a direct replacement for Renault Megane front door speakers. Once in my hands I discovered that I had to

a.- Cut 2 out of the 4 speaker mounting brackets
b.- Cut off the weather shield... :oops:

Only to discover that the sound did not improve much and that I had a nice pool in my door bins! :eek

Luckily, the technical assistant at the product design department at the University where I work was able to help. He made me a pair of vacuum molded pastic weather shields that we put in place using some hot glue and finished off with duct-tape (just to give it more strength) ... Lesson Learned: Research before you cut.

After that experience, I just went and ordered a set of TS-Q131C. The improvement in sound was much more than what I expected. Really pleased.

Now Im struggling with the rear doors...

Ive read posts where people say that they just wont bother with the rear speakers, citing various reasons; from "i dont seat in the back therefore I dont care" to "I barely hear the sound coming from the rear door speakers". In my case, I believe that there was such an improvement with the new speakers that its a shame to keep the fade all to the front just to "avoid" the bad quality sound when I could 'repeat the experience' in the back too...

Yesteday I started my project of stripping the rear doors (and you've inspired me to document it :D ) As you know, it is by no means as straight forward as the fronts, but Ive been bitten by the TS-Q131C bug already and would appreciate your opinion on this (project of replacing the rear speakers too)

Thank you for reading all this!

Alonso

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:51 am

europa wrote:I've just installed a set and documented my experiences here for anyone who is interested!

I'm now interested in the speakers since I want improvement over the stock and don't want to mod anything.
Originally I was going to get the Pioneer TS-C130R.

So can you help me to get into contact with the seller? I'm also in Australia.
How much was shipping? Shipping was the thing that originally put me off importing these speakers because it costs more then the actual speaker.
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:01 am

Ray wrote:I have kept my original speakers in the rear.
they do the job of filling the rear space behind you fine.

it is a big job to take the rear door cards off.

i've not had a problem with them distorting... i was in the back of my car the other day actually and it sounded fine.

The rear speakers seem to only produce lower frequencies, not sure if its just my headunit or something, but people that sit in the back are faced with lots of bass as I also have a sub woofer in the boot. Are the back speakers the same size as the front? Or are they even exactly the same as the front?
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:28 am

yes.. that is true.. the rear passengers get more bass and thump from the woofer in the back.

the rear speakers are the same i think.. or just slightly smaller... i think they are the same and the rear passengers get lower frenquencies as there's no tweeter in the rear!

europa
Just Passed

Postby europa » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:00 pm

MrAsia wrote:So can you help me to get into contact with the seller? I'm also in Australia.
How much was shipping? Shipping was the thing that originally put me off importing these speakers because it costs more then the actual speaker.

Speakers were 119 Euro, shipping 39 Euro (yes, expensive!)

In eBay, do a worldwide search, including title & description for ts-q131c

The sellers name is nt-solutions (AKA extremeaudio)

I have no affiliation with the seller, other than as a single purchase, satisfied customer! :-)

europa
Just Passed

Re: My experience with the TS-Q131C (and a steep learning cu

Postby europa » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:04 pm

Alonso225 wrote:Yesteday I started my project of stripping the rear doors (and you've inspired me to document it :D ) As you know, it is by no means as straight forward as the fronts, but Ive been bitten by the TS-Q131C bug already and would appreciate your opinion on this (project of replacing the rear speakers too)

Ideally I would be also replacing the rear speakers - but removing the door card assembly is a little further than I want to go. Good luck and looking forward to the document! :-)

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:12 am

europa wrote:
MrAsia wrote:So can you help me to get into contact with the seller? I'm also in Australia.

Speakers were 119 Euro, shipping 39 Euro (yes, expensive!)

In eBay, do a worldwide search, including title & description for ts-q131c

The sellers name is nt-solutions (AKA extremeaudio)

I have no affiliation with the seller, other than as a single purchase, satisfied customer! :-)

Australian Model
PIONEER TS-C130R 5.25"
$209 + $45 AUD

Custom Megane Model
PIONEER TS-Q131C
$199.004 + $65.2197 AUD

Looking at the prices both are kind of similar now, though the australian model will need modification to the door. The Australian one seems to have a slightly wider frequency range, probably because of the more depth.

Hmmm, still thinking whether to buy it or not :?
Is it really a BIG improvement? I have a Pioneer headunit.
Would you say its worth every cent?

Also does the guy on ebay know english?
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

europa
Just Passed

Postby europa » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:59 am

I'm sure you've read the article, but I'll say it again:

I wanted to improve the sound of the existing head unit WITHOUT extensive mods to the car.

The TS-Q131C provided that option, and as you could see was a very easy installation. If I want to keep the speakers later, I can replace the originals with ease as well.

If you want to fit speakers with deeper cones, you will need to cut the watershield out of the door card to make them fit. You then run the risk of water intrusion, unless you seal the speakers properly. You will also have to modify the cable connectors to fit.

The tweeters in the model you specified appear to be externally mounted, which would require dash modification to install.

I don't know what more I can say that I haven't already said in the document. You'll have to make the purchasing decision yourself.

To me, it was important to have a quick, easy and reversible installation to correct the bass distortion problem.

For you, it might be something completely different. You can take my experiences and make your choice!

Good luck!

My answers to your questions:

Is it really a BIG improvement?

In my opinion, yes

Would you say its worth every cent?

In my opinion, yes

Also does the guy on ebay know english?

Yes

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Wed May 31, 2006 9:35 am

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:32 pm

Well after a lot of consideration I took the plunge and bought myself a set of the Pioneers this afternoon

Installed them tonight which took me all of 10 minutes (following europa's guide, very helpful) :tu

What an improvement :shock:

I sat in the car and listened to the whole of the Finn Brothers album, at high volume, the wife had to come and drag me out or I'd still have been there :lol:

The sound clarity a lower, mid range and higher volumes is much better. A better head unit would improve things further and get the most out of the speakers but for now this upgrade has been definately worth £70, money well spent.

Cheers guy's
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:39 am

Held of getting them till now.

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... Track=true

this guy is reasonably cheap to for postage overseas. just contacted him and will get confirmation soon :D
$220AUD all up including postage. wooot!

originally I didn't plan to get these speakers, was just going to get pioneer 5.25" splits for the front and get MDF spacers and do a fibreglass mould for the door.
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

hannson
Advanced Driver

Postby hannson » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:09 pm

MrAsia wrote:Held of getting them till now.

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... Track=true

this guy is reasonably cheap to for postage overseas. just contacted him and will get confirmation soon :D
$220AUD all up including postage. wooot!

originally I didn't plan to get these speakers, was just going to get pioneer 5.25" splits for the front and get MDF spacers and do a fibreglass mould for the door.
excellent! sorry i couldn't muster a group order for this.
you'd love this speakers :)

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:08 am

Got them today!
So fast the delivery, only took a week to get here including weekend.

Installed them as soon as they got here.
First impression was that the clarity has definately improved.
Yet to decide my final opinion
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

Return to “ICE”