Good Deal ?

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Scottybhoy

Good Deal ?

Postby Scottybhoy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:12 pm

Looking to buy a 05 plate Oasis Megane 1.4 3D.
The reason im looking at a megane is the insurnace. Im a teen so im sure youll understand !.

A local garage has one advertised for just under 4k. with 48k miles on the clock but with no MOT or TAX !
I have gotten him down to 3.3k still slightly over my budget but was wondering if you would say that was a good deal ?. I still dont like the idea of no MOT tho.

I have never had a megane before been looking around and it seems the electronics are an issue.

Could anyone give me some advice into buying .
Thanks

ethanelder
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: megane f1 r26

Re: Good Deal ?

Postby ethanelder » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:23 pm

hi thier i think you should tell him to mot it and youll have it,bit weird how a GARAGE would be selling a car with no m.o.t?if hes willing to take £500 off the car, why wouldnt he pay the £45 for an mot unless its got problems.....

Scottybhoy

Postby Scottybhoy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:27 pm

thats what im thinking mate, he took almost 700 quid off without me saying a word pretty much. Sounds a bit strange

If it had MOT would you say 3.3 was a good deal for that car ? spotless interior and exterior

ukpassking
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: megane sport tourer 54 1.9dci

Postby ukpassking » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:04 pm

defo get him to mot it, But even then just cause the car has a mot doesn’t mean it a good car! God knows I’ve learned this the hard way.
Like some1 said if he won’t do a £45 mot he must know it’s going to fail, he might of already tried. When i bought my Megane from a garage it had 8 months mot left but i asked for them to re mot it & they did, i also got a mate of mine who works for the RAC to come with me and look it over. 3k is a lot of money mate,Aand you need to be 100% sure this is the car you want and be sure it will last more than 2 weeks on the road! Check for things that will cost a lot to repair, does the air con work? How many key cards does it have? Are the tyres ok? open the boot and pull the carpet out look for water and any creases in the boot floor, check under the bonnet does it look all original parts are all the plastic clips in holding the plastic trim down, does the front number plate match the rear i don’t mean the reg but the plate, has 1 been changed is it a different plate then the other? Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and all the way to the left does it make any noises? Check everything electrical and i mean everything! Has it had a cambelt change? 05 with 50k on the clock it should be on its 2nd belt, that’s £300 to £400.
Check the tyres are they ok all the wear is even, check the water and oil water should be water (no oil in it) oil should be oil if it looks like milkshake walk away, or if the oil cap is very clean why is it very clean has the seller cleaned it to hide something? check dipstick, Ask for history get the logbook number and go to dvla website and check all old mots if and why it failed, also check the mileage this way, if it was me if & he won’t mot it i walk away, he must mot 100 cars a year why won’t he mot this 1?
I bet if you bought it on receipt it would say, part ex to clear no warranty implied or given sold as seen and he will ask you to sign right under that. Has he offered you a warranty? You’re covered by the Sale of Goods Act ONLY COVERED BY THE CONTRACT YOU SIGNED WHEN YOU BOUGHT THE CAR it is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract. If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time" if you've had the car for more than 6 months then it can be a little more difficult as it is then up to the purchaser to prove that the fault was there when it was bought under 6 months it’s up to the garage to prove the fault wasn’t there at the time of purchase, your also entitled to ask for a replacement car or hire car whilst your car is off the road due to it funking up cause he sold you a duff. Also the 6 months stops running as soon as you report the fault.

In other words if you report the fault even 1 day before the 6 months from date of delivery expires but the dealer takes his time so that he doesn't, for whatever reason, consider your claim until post 6 months he is still liable under the reverse burden of proof.
No matter what he says he is desperate to sell the car, he might give you bullsh1t yea I had 4 people come looking at it or I had a guy call from down south he wants it he’s calling back Tuesday its always 3-4 days away, at the end of the day it’s your money and you only buy when your 110% happy with the sale don’t sign a receipt if he puts a load of bullsh1t on it, might I add sold as seen means funk all, but there is other sh1t they can put on it that does mean you can’t do funk all!
Please look up the SOFA
My dad is a solicitor I know my sh1t.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Scottybhoy wrote:Looking to buy a 05 plate Oasis Megane 1.4 3D.

3.3k still slightly over my budget but was wondering if you would say that was a good deal ?. I still dont like the idea of no MOT tho.

That is expensive. Under no circumstances would I buy that without MOT. No way.

Look at this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Scottybhoy

Postby Scottybhoy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:19 am

well im getting the car for 3.3, they will do and MOT and service. and a years warrenty basically. Still dont understand why they didnt advertise that ? beats me.
On a test drive we found 2 gear a bit stiff to get into, anyone had anything like this before (this is my first megane)

ukpassking
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: megane sport tourer 54 1.9dci

Postby ukpassking » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:24 am

Definately gearbox oil change as your first step, Is this only when car was cold did it improve when car was fully warmed up?
The synchronisation 1st to 2nd from cold has been a niggle with a number of boxes on various motors I've had The turboed Lancia 16v was a classic example of this, but it was vastly improved by changing the transmission oil, for a 75/90 fully synthetic.
Is it the same up shifting as down shifting? find the gear linkage and cover with grease.
If it goes into gear noiselessly it may not be a problem. If it improves as the gearbox warms up it may just be sticky syncromesh You could consider an additive for the 'box. Or a fully synthetic gearbox oil. The latter should allow a faster warm up with reduced friction.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:37 am

Scottybhoy walk away from it, there's plenty out there.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”