Rusty slam panel & water questions

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Beanchimp
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.4 sport

Rusty slam panel & water questions

Postby Beanchimp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi just a couple of quick questions that I cant seem to find answers too

Been to look at a 56 (2007) 1.6 VVT with 54k miles on the clock it is the facelift model

I was surprised to see quite a bit of rust on the slam panel under the bonnet, and on the drivers side engine mount. Is this normal for the age of the car or not ?

Its not heavy rust its more surface rust than anything but it is quite nocticeable

Also when I opened the boot I almost got soaked with the downpour of water LOL. is that also normal as it seem to be coming from around the number plate area (i get it a lot on my Nissan Elgrand)

The car drove well once it started to warm up, it did cut out when I started it, and spluttered a little on first pulling away but ran quite smooth aafter about 30 seconds so assume it was a cold engine as I dont believe the car has been moved for a few days

Its on at a good price, and taxed till July, and panaoramic roof, service history but no spare wheel (or tyre weld rubbish)

Would appreciate some help on the above, as am interested in putting a deposit on it tomorrow

Thanks
Steve

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Re: Rusty slam panel & water questions

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Can't speak for all Meganes, but my 55 plate has no rust under the bonnet. The panel is sprayed to match the car so I wouldn't expect rust as it's even more protected than the exterior of the car. Is 'your' panel painted or is it black, if it isn't a colour match to the car it could be a replacement indicating front end damage. Check the shut lines around the bonnet and doors are all even. Look for overspray in the wheel arches, etc. Get the garage to show you the HPI check (all garages get them for all their stock so they will have it and they should be happy to show you.)

The 'tailgate shower' is normal. Refreshing in summer but not so much in winter. You learn to; open, count to eight, lean in.

I'd insist on a spare wheel.

Check they have both original keycards, and try them both yourself.

Check everything electrical works.

Timing belt, accessories belt, water pump all need replacing at 5 years old, so before 1st March at latest in your case.

Check brake discs and pads have been replaced as the originals do well to last 40k miles.

Make sure service history is kosher.

Good luck.
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

Beanchimp

Postby Beanchimp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks for the replies

Its a black slam panel, and its the same rust on the engine mount too, its only in these areas there is rust, there is no rust on any of the colour coded areas
Fluid tubs all look pretty clean and the fluid is very clean (brake and power steering) I didnt check the service history as I will be doing that in the morning, they were getting ready to close when we got there

Its rusted the same as the one on my Subaru Imprezza but thats dones 90k miles and is 11 years old, and bizarely gained the majority of that rust in the garage whilst off the road

The only other thing I noticed was it was a little smoky and a bit of water out the back (tomorrow will check the oil filler cap) but it has been really cold this morning, roasting all day and then cold this evening, so possible condensation build up as the car hasnt moved for at least 2 days, certainly didnt smell head gaskety and was still reasonably cold :)

Beanchimp

Postby Beanchimp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Hmm , looking at pictures on the net of Megane Engine bays, it appears the slam panel and other parts in the engine bay are all covered by black plastic coverings

This one didnt have any, its a Dynamique so not sure if its standard or not

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:36 pm

The black plastic covers are std on Dynamique so should be present.

I'll photo mine and post back.

:cool:
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver

Postby morganjake1544 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:11 pm

Near side engine bay.

Off side engine bay.

The Dynamique you're looking at should look like this.

Ask why they're missing, ask if it has had a front end bump.

Beanchimp

Postby Beanchimp » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks for your help guys

We have decided not to go with this one now, it is missing all of the black plastic covers and ive heard a few stories about the garage being a little more on the shady side

They told us it has been in the family since new so have full service history (but im thinking they say this to all of their potential customers about all of their cars)

They were prepared to drop 600 quid off the screen price without a bat of an eyelid, and it just seemed too good to be true really and ive had a niggling feeling about it ever since being at the garage

We have found another this time in Black, higher mileage but they will do the cambelt (as they cant tell from the history if it has been done, so they said they wont take any risks) its done 77k miles and was reg in march 06. someone has gouged the side trim on the passenger door and the mirror houseing is broke, they will replace both of these parts if we purchase the car

We are booked in for a test drive first thing on Monday (an unnacompanied test drive too, so a good chance to get down and dirty with the electrics etc)

Will keep you posted :)

Beanchimp

Postby Beanchimp » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:31 pm

So :)

Went for a test drive on Monday, car was good although high mileage but not a bad price, test drove a 1.4 for 1995 this morning, but it was poor, been resprayed too 80k miles absolutly zero service history bar the 8 mile one from new

Found one in Arnold Clark screen price of 5488, saw it on autotrader for 4688 and drove them down to 4300 plus free 2 year 2 service & mot
its done 37k miles, registered end sep 07. full service history, panoramic roof, cd multichanger, remote keyless entry and a few other extra bits n bobs in it

Dont know if anyone can shed any light but there is a usb port in the glovebox ! what would that be for ?

Anyway put the deposit down just trying to sort insurance etc and delivery date :)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:31 pm

The USB port is for a memory stick with mp3 files on it. You can select this device as a source for the radio.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”