rainx

Used a good or bad product with your car? Share your experience here...

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

eric
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane lldci

rainx

Postby eric » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:10 am

Anyone tried rainx? How long and how good does it work? I have dogdy front elec window's and thought about using this until fixed.

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Re: rainx

Postby freelanderuk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:48 am

I use a similar product and it works ok , just make sure the glass is very clean before applying it
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Angelwax h2go is much better, cheaper and a piece of pish to apply - it also lasts at least twice as long.

For the ultimate long lasting (usually about 3 months) product I find Carlack windscreen sealant the best but it's not the easiest to apply; you first clean the windscreen with the cleaner which is a PITA and then apply the sealant. It works brilliantly but demands more prep.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

eric
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane lldci

Postby eric » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:12 pm

Thanks.

Does it also reduce ice build up during frosty weather?

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:55 pm

Can't speak for rain-x but both of the ones I mentioned do relative to their effectiveness as I've listed them.

It doesn't eliminate it by any means but definitely reduces it and certainly makes it clear quicker once you have the blower on it as well as making it easier to scrape off if needed.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

mrvandango
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 dci dynamique tourer

Postby mrvandango » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:07 am

I've used rainx for years without trouble, and yet the last couple of times I've applied (to my wifes' tt and my work van) it has gone very streaky,smeary when the wipers have to be used. Side and rear windows are as good as the usually are and clear in seconds. I'm not really sure what has happened this time round, as I always deep clean the glass before application. It's bearable during the day, but it's horrendous at night with the oncoming headlights.

I read good things about this stuff https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151184898728 when I started looking for a better alternative. Apparently it lasts for months, and works in a completely different way to rainx, so I shall go for some of this when I need to put a new coating on.

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

Postby petepete » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:04 am

I m using rainex now...

Ran out of "MER" rainaway after buying 5 bottles for £2 a piece the other year and used it to clean bath etc !!!!!

I use it all over the car on the paintwork too as it keeps the car cleaner and is quicker than polish :grin :grin

One thing I have noted...

Rainex doesn't last as long and doesn't perform as well as "mer" and by not perform as well, I mean the rain doesn't bead as well as with mer.

Nearly run out of rainex and although I can buy it cheap and I cant find mer at the cheap price I once did, I will be buying mer at full price ;-)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:29 am

In my experience, RainX and similar work amaizingly well in summer and above 50mph when the windscreen was washed before the journey. It's also good on the side windows and in all areas beyond the reach of the wipers.

However, in winter, in slow traffic and when in the morning one uses wipers to clear dirt accumulated overnight, then long smear traces appear behind the wiper blades (greasy). It's very bad at night. I'm yet to find a water repellent that would be good at both high speeds and slow winter traffic.

RainX just slightly helps with the issue of insects and ice sticking - no wonders here.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Product Tests”