Rear Brake noise.

Discussions around the Mégane 225.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

IIIIBRAGGIIII
Currently Drives:: Megane sport 225

Rear Brake noise.

Postby IIIIBRAGGIIII » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:03 pm

hi.

just a quickie, when im reversing and then apply the brake i get a really loud noise from the rear brake.

my mate reckons it resembles the sound chewbaka from the starwars films makes haha. any suggestions? im going to be getting new brake pads all round but just wanted to know if i may need something else to fit while im doing those.

thanks very much Rich B.

Bennet

Re: Rear Brake noise.

Postby Bennet » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:16 am

I have a 2006 Mazda 3i touring and after getting the rear pads replaced about 2 months ago what I originally described as a grinding noise started (the Mazda service guy has since confirmed that's not actually a 'grinding noise' although that's the best description I know of). The noise only occurs when braking and it's a pulsating noise. The noise is coming from the rear and from both sides. The speed of the pulses is proportional to the speed of the car at the time it is braking. I don't hear anything at highway speeds (or perhaps other noises are covering it up) and at low speeds I don't hear the noise if I brake really hard.

The service shop: they have now done 2 complete brake jobs (new pads, machine rotors, etc, etc), put 3 different brands of pads on (the last pair they put on were OEM pads because Mazda told them some after market pads were causing the noises). They have spent hours trying to fix the problem, all out of their own pocket (the initial job was on my dime obviously).

The service place is a fairly large, reputation chain of shops and the folks have really gone out of their way, spending more time and money than I'm sure they would care to so I don't feel like anyone is ripping anyone off here.

Any thoughts? The Mazda dealer says you can't machine a Mazda 3's rotors but the shop where I went says, "yeah, that's what they all say when they want to sell you more rotors". But the Mazda service guy recommended I don't replace the rotors unless the rear end is shaking. Basically I don't feel like either are overtly lying but regardless one is still wrong. And that may have nothing to do with what's actually wrong with the brakes/wheels in the first place.

mrbigsboy
Currently Drives:: subaru impreza, passat cc

Postby mrbigsboy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:18 pm

IIIIBRAGGIIII wrote:hi.

just a quickie, when im reversing and then apply the brake i get a really loud noise from the rear brake.

my mate reckons it resembles the sound chewbaka from the starwars films makes haha. any suggestions? im going to be getting new brake pads all round but just wanted to know if i may need something else to fit while im doing those.

thanks very much Rich B.

HI matie..

did you find out what the noise was. as mine is doing the same thing when you slowly reverse..

cheers.
simon.

Fielding67
Currently Drives:: Megane Renaultsport 225

Postby Fielding67 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:17 am

I'd be interested in knowing as well. I had the noise last year. New discs and pads allround and the noise is still there :?
Inferno Orange RS 225

lee00069
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 megane cc 1.9 DCI

Postby lee00069 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

The noise is coming from the rear calipers.
Normally the pre 2005 meganes do the noise when braking while reversing and the meganes built during or after 2005 do not...

Return to “Megane 225”