Just a quick check

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

paulkirky
Passed Theory

Just a quick check

Postby paulkirky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:16 pm

What i have circled-ish in red has a nice amount of oil in the pipe was just wondering if that was normal, because i thought this was one of the air flow pipes?

You can even see the oil in the picture

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Just a quick check

Postby davelowe » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:45 pm

That is the compressed air feed from (I think) the turbo going through the engine cut off valve on a 1.9 engine toward the inlet manifold, I'm willing to bet.

It should have a film of oil (wipe offable with a rag) - much more probably means your turbo is leaking oil past its seals. This is bad news.

Clean the EGR assembly in case it is causing some odd back pressure. That yellow oil filler bottle immediately to the left of your circle is removable - its purpose is to separate tiny vapour particles of oil from the PCV system. At its base is a very small tube through which oil should drain back into the crankcase. It can and does get blocked meaning oil ends up where you found it. I posted a long description of how to clean it all out some time ago - but all you need from memory is a long extension (12") and a 10mm socket.

I suggest cleaning the above first. Then if it stays very oily, take the bumper off and remove the intercooler. It should not have a lot of oil in it (a few teaspoons is normal).

Does the turbo whine badly?

When was the oil last changed?
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Problems / Questions”