Alloy wheels wrong size....

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Wilsons102
Currently Drives:: Megane ii 1.5dci 2003
Astra mk4 1.6 ls 2000

Alloy wheels wrong size....

Postby Wilsons102 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:05 pm

Yep i did it bought alloy wheels from online seller that were advertised as 4x100 PCD and 65.1 MM Bore , i bought spigots to change the bore down to 60.1 for the megane thought no problem. The alloys arrived looked brilliant , took time off today to paint calipers blue and fit new alloys only to find ... Uh oh the lug nut holes are off centre with the hub , remeasured and sure enough they are 4x108 , clearly the seller didn't know how to use a tape measure, and i was stupid enough not to double check them when i bought them... Im wondering if anyone can give advice or help , as far as i see it i have 3 options.

1. Buy 4x108 to 4x100 adapters , however i think this may make my wheels foul the wheel arch doing this.
2. I have heard it is possible to have new holes drilled into the alloys buy i am unsure as to where i can do this , how much it will cost and if its safe to use the wheels afterwords , there is plenty space for more holes still leave a lot of metal in place as support.

3. Or sell the alloy and admit defeat.

I would prefer not to sell them as they were a bargin , £150 used Black BSA 17" alloys gloss practically new looking no marks , with almost new tires still balanced etc. I doubt i would find similar style and condition alloys in the same price range that would fit my car but i could be surprised.

Any Advice is very welcomed

Cheers ! :cool:

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Re: Alloy wheels wrong size....

Postby freelanderuk » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:50 am

get in touch with the seller and send them back , wrongly advertized
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

almcgrail
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane II tourer 130

Postby almcgrail » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:15 pm

This sounds familiar! Ibought some kahns off e bay advertised as 4x100 18 inch, when test fitted these too were 4x108!
They were in great condition however had been resprayed and therefore I couldn't read the stamp on the rear which has rim and offset size, so took the guys word for it.
I refurbed them in satin black, and after a while took them for tyres. The 18" tyres wouldn't fit as the wheels were actualy 19s! Bonus! :D
Got some adapters as i was going to get spacers anyway, 20mm front and 25mm rear. The rears are fine although near the arch limit, but the fronts are ever so slightly out of the arch. This would not be a problem with standard ride height, but when lowering may catch the outer arch slightly.

If you've got them for £150 with tyres I'd say thats a deal. Get some adapters, you can always get slightlty smaller ones made up but i went for the ones that were listed, It will all still have cost you less than a brand new set of alloys so look at it that way. Good luck :cool:

TommoScotland
Currently Drives:: 2005 RENAULT MEGANE 1.6 VVT Dynamique 5dr Hatchback, 2001 Astra Bertone Coupe

Postby TommoScotland » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:04 pm

If the wheels and tyres are really good condition, Sell them for more and get a different set :cool:

Wilsons102
Currently Drives:: Megane ii 1.5dci 2003
Astra mk4 1.6 ls 2000

Postby Wilsons102 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:41 am

So u think I can fit these with 20mm adapters I think this would mess up car handling and offset though ? When I measure them in the arch I had about 15mm space width wise to arch on front so like u say might stick out about 5mm the back arch had loads of space about 30mm I'm worried to buy adapters as they are not cheap about £140 nearly the cost of the wheels...

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:23 am

TommoScotland wrote:If the wheels and tyres are really good condition, Sell them for more and get a different set :cool:

+1
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:15 pm

...or just sell them and don't upgrade. This "upgrade" is actually a downgrade, because the car will become worse after it. Bigger alloys will require a different suspension setup, expensive tyres and many other things eventually leading to RS specs. I, personally, just bought an RS in addition to the old car.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

almcgrail
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane II tourer 130

Postby almcgrail » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Wilsons102 wrote:So u think I can fit these with 20mm adapters I think this would mess up car handling and offset though ? When I measure them in the arch I had about 15mm space width wise to arch on front so like u say might stick out about 5mm the back arch had loads of space about 30mm I'm worried to buy adapters as they are not cheap about £140 nearly the cost of the wheels...

Messing up the cars handling is debatable, I've yet to try mine as I'm waiting to lower it first so cant comment yet, but plenty of people run them so how bad can they be?
For me I dont feel its much of a gamble as my wheels were £130 and when Im done with them I'm sure Ill get more than my money back for a set of refurbished 19" kahns, as for the adapters when I'm done with them I'll sell them as spacers for multifit wheels or something, so in the long run they should all pay for themselves.
Keep them if you love the wheels, if you bought them 'cos they'll do' you may not be able to justify spending more to get them on the car.

pfeek114
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 1.5 DCI

Postby pfeek114 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:51 pm

why dont you look into a set of OEM renault wheels, ive got fitted a set of Nervastella wheels, but just found a full set of Nervasport wheels (thats 16" to 17" on standard hubs and suspension) for £140 locally, and with these i could then choose whether to paint them, space them out or anything safe in the knowledge that they will fit the cars PCD and offset perfectly
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.........No Smoke, No Poke

Return to “Problems / Questions”