New owner, classic niggles

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

callyspoy
Currently Drives:: Mwgane 1.5 dci
Mazda Bongo
Suzuki b120

New owner, classic niggles

Postby callyspoy » Sun May 22, 2016 8:17 pm

Hi folks,
Sorry for no intro, but here i am!
I have just bought a 2005 Megane 1.5dci, it was cheap so i am currently working through a few classic niggley issues.
My most pressing one is "the click" when turning the wheel. Only really noticeable with the window down and slow speed. I have noticed that when driving i do appear to get a drone from the driver side. Assumed wheel bearing or driveshaft issue.
Having read (at length, thanks, great forum!), I had a look at the spring top mounts to see if they were catching, no luck. I did have to do that on my wifes 206 a few years ago, so i know the pain!
Whilst there i noticed that the cv gaitor was off, metal clip broken, gaitor intact. I put a cable tie on it for now (sunday afternoon, no factors open).
Anyway, i just went back out and tugged on the CV/shaft and there is some play in the drivers side, no obvious play in the passenger side though, gaitor appears attached on that side.
What i can't see is any information of what is permissable play. I am hoping that it should have no play, so changing the CV joint will cure my problem, but i don't have much money to go about changing everything, so i'm trying to eliminate the trial and error method.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. I am a capable spanner wielder, so all work will be done by myself, just trying to save the bank account in the process!

Return to “Problems / Questions”