Hardwire

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mdainty
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: DYNAMIQUE S 1.5 DCi 106ps

Hardwire

Postby mdainty » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi guys, not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.

I am looking to hardwire my sat nav into my Megane but I'm unsure on how to do it.

I have a spare charger that was previously hardwired into my VW, so the casing has been split so that I can solder additional wires onto the circuit.

I think the best option would be to connect directly to the fuse box and find an ignition feed and connect to the ground near the fuse box.

Can anyone tell me if I am going the right way with the option or if there is a better way and how do I find an ignition feed within the fuse box?

Cheers guys.

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Re: Hardwire

Postby Toodeep » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:07 am

Why not take the feed off the back of the cigarette lighter socket? Perhaps better still, I have 'hard-wired' a 3-way accessory socket (from Halfords) this way and hidden it behind the dashboard. I just permanently plug my Sat-Nav and phone charger which both then retain their own internal fuses for protection, into the hidden adaptor and trail their wires up to the windscreen or down by the console as required. Halfords have 2, 3, and 4-way switchable and non-switchable adaptors designed to plug into the cigarette lighter. By 'hard-wiring' in the way I've suggested to what is a reasonably high load (and in my case unused) feed, there is no danger of overloading (I occasionally even plug a cool-box into the spare socket), nothing is visible, I can still unplug any of the accessories to use elsewhere and everything retains its fuse.

The cigarette lighter is the electrical component I use least (ie never) so for me it is better that than sharing with some other component on the fusebox and overloading its fuse.

mdainty
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: DYNAMIQUE S 1.5 DCi 106ps

Postby mdainty » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks Toodeep. If i was to connect it to the cigarette lighter, how do you take it out. Cause i tried to other week but it wouldn't give.
It's not worth be buying a accessory socket as the power lead that i already have is ready for the wires to be joined to its circuit.

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:56 pm

Unclip the trim panel under the key card slot.

Unclip the trim around the gear lever gaiter and pull it up to remove it.

Prise the handbrake trim panel forward to remove it

Prise up the trim panel behind the gear lever

Unclip the console top panel

The lighter can now be unclipped if necessary

Return to “Problems / Questions”