Lights problem, Please help!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dkingy11
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9DCI

Lights problem, Please help!

Postby dkingy11 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:34 am

Hi all, i'm a newbie to the renault megane. Just wondering if anyone could help with a problem im having with my lights......
My dipped headlights work and the green icon is displayed on dash, but when i use high beam (Flashers) the green light goes out and blue one replaces it (not sure if this is normal, or if both should be present) but high beam lights do not work.
Just wondering if this is caused by bulbs blown, fuses, or.... something worse?
Also front fogs don't work either..
Cheers

Air-Wolf
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.5 dci 106 bhp Dynamique

Smart Roadster Coupe 700cc 80bhp

Re: Lights problem, Please help!

Postby Air-Wolf » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:34 am

Hi,

The blue icon replaces the green icon so that's normal, don't know why they or the fogs don't work, is it front and rear fogs?

AW

dkingy11
Just Passed

Postby dkingy11 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:03 am

Cheers for the reply.....
thats good to know that the dash illuminations are correct. going to check fuses when weather is a bit better (hope its not bulbs as ive heard they are a nightmare to change,lol) :?:

dkingy11
Just Passed

Postby dkingy11 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi everyone. I have checked all the fuses nd they r all ok. The front foglights bulbs r also fine.... So just wondering if there's anything else I can check before I blame it on the wiring nd start checking all of that.
Anyone had a similar problem?
Cheers

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:11 pm

I don't have the wiring diagram to hand (but check the ownership problems link thread for the online manuals).

Are you using the standard H7 et al 55W bulbs or the HID 35W (yellowish or blueish)?

Which fuses have you checked, the glovebox or also under the bonnet?

It is not unknown for both bulbs to blow at the same time... I have no idea why this is the case.

If you have the standard H7 halogen set up, it would probably be easier to remove the bulbs and check them before removing the battery, ECU, etc under the bonnet to get to the engine bay fuses.

If all else fails, you might have a problem with the UCH (have you had water ingress into the cabin?) - but don't worry about that at this stage until you have tried the above.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

dkingy11
Just Passed

Postby dkingy11 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 pm

davelowe wrote:I don't have the wiring diagram to hand (but check the ownership problems link thread for the online manuals).

Are you using the standard H7 et al 55W bulbs or the HID 35W (yellowish or blueish)?

Which fuses have you checked, the glovebox or also under the bonnet?

It is not unknown for both bulbs to blow at the same time... I have no idea why this is the case.

If you have the standard H7 halogen set up, it would probably be easier to remove the bulbs and check them before removing the battery, ECU, etc under the bonnet to get to the engine bay fuses.

If all else fails, you might have a problem with the UCH (have you had water ingress into the cabin?) - but don't worry about that at this stage until you have tried the above.

Hi, I assume they are the original h7 (the thing is, i disonnected one of the front foglights nd it had a black connector on the bottom, i could'nt remove the actual bulb from this holder) Does that sound right or should it come out?

I checked the mini fuses under bonnet and they were all fine.... ones in glove box didnt relate to lights ( i don't think)

The one bulb i managed to get to and remove had no signs of been blown and the other looks fine through fog lens..

I just removed fuse box cover and was able to check fuses without removing battery, ecu etc. (Or is there more im unaware of?)

Dont know if this has anything in connection with this problem, but......... i have come accross another problem which seems more serious (will be posting in new thread) but basically my car jus went nuts on me.. majority of my dash lights came on, my car wouldn't stop and eventually it gave me a fault reading "Electronic Fault" WTF?

Cheers for you input already guys, any more help would be much appreciated!!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:45 am

Check the headlight access hatch on the left front arch liner. If its cover is missing, water gets into the controller in the fuse box under the bonnet (the one you checked). Also check if the plastic undertray under the engine is installed.

The message on the computer means that one of devices of the on-board network is not working, thus taking down the whole network segment and causing a major failure.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

dkingy11
Just Passed

Postby dkingy11 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:13 pm

hi, i have just checked and there is no front part of the front arch lining on the passenger side plus the front undercar plastic is cracked and theres no under engine cover!! :banghead

Guess this is my problem as the weather was shocking yesterday so water has probably f****d my car.... :(

Does any1 have a solution i can try?

Cheers for your replies so far, really helpful.

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:56 pm

see the common issues sticky viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8855
and scroll down to Water Ingress, theres a link to another post there about water in the electrics...basically involves removing it, drying it out and spraying with wd40 (or similar), but you really need to block the hole in the wheel arch (cardboard and gaffer tape should do as a temporary solution) and have a look down the scrappers for one.

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:34 pm

markren2004 wrote:see the common issues sticky viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8855
and scroll down to Water Ingress, theres a link to another post there about water in the electrics...basically involves removing it, drying it out and spraying with wd40 (or similar), but you really need to block the hole in the wheel arch (cardboard and gaffer tape should do as a temporary solution) and have a look down the scrappers for one.

Is the passenger side arch cover the oval one or round one?
I have a brand new one in the loft which i think is the round one(would have to check though)

dkingy11
Just Passed

Postby dkingy11 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:43 pm

Not too sure as i am missing the full front part of the front arch lining (not just the hand hole cover for access when changing lights).
Thanks anyway mate..... gonna look down the scrapyard after work tomorrow nd hopefully get 1 cheap.

markren2004
Advanced Driver

Postby markren2004 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:23 am

passenger side has smaller circlular cover, drivers side is larger oval cover...although not much good if you don't have the wheel arch inner :)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Disconnect the battery and dry the fuse box. It contains a computer with network interface, which doesn't like water and salt. The salt may eat through the tracks of the printed circuit board. The best would be to remove the box, give it a warm bath, then drain and dry in an oven at 60-70C. Otherwise, just use a hair dryer without removing it from the car.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

dkingy11
Just Passed

Postby dkingy11 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:01 pm

I disconnected everything last night, took fuse box in the house and give it a good clean and dried it out! Bit of WD40 then left it over night!

After work today i done a trial fit just to check to see if everything worked and things before fitting back in properly........... :D :D :D Started up and everything was working as it should , with no error messages at all (fingers crossed it stays that way).

Foglights and high beam still dont work but need to check and change bulbs.(although i already checked front fogs and the bulbs were ok, no signs of been blown so i think it could be a wiring problem)........... When putting fuse box back in, i noticed a spare connector, could someone tell me what its for please?

Also does this seem right or is there anything missing?...

dkingy11
Just Passed

Postby dkingy11 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:16 pm

Car is still working but i have only driven 20seconds up the road and came back to find water on the passenger wheel and fuse box again...... so there must be water storing somewhere because it was dry as a bone outside! Gonna chech under plastic cover where windscreen wipers are. Hopfully i can find a blockage and sort it out!!! :-(

Problem after problem after problem, really annoying!!

Return to “Problems / Questions”