Range when fuel light comes on

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

06Megane

Range when fuel light comes on

Postby 06Megane » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi

I have a 06 Megane 1.6 Dynamique, and I recently started expirencing an issue with range computer notbeing able to calculate an accurate range. When I have quarter of a tank of petrol the range left is only 150 miles and by the time the fuel light comes it down to between 70 -80 miles! When it gets to about 50 miles and the range displays "_ _ _ _ "
I am sure that before it used say well over +-130 miles when the fuel light came.

My MPG is normal at about 40mpg.

Can anyone with a 1.6 model like mine say what their average range is when the fuel light comes on?

thank you

chris2008
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: megane 1.5 expression dci

Re: Range when fuel light comes on

Postby chris2008 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:23 pm

i get that, when my megane says 50 miles left till diesel runs out, but ive never seen it drop below 50, it just displays _ _ , ive never seen it go below 50 tho

06Megane

Postby 06Megane » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:09 am

I have had mine down to 25 miles before, it just started doing these strange things one day after filling up.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:49 pm

The level sensor is at fault, I guess...

06Megane wrote:Hi

I have a 06 Megane 1.6 Dynamique, and I recently started expirencing an issue with range computer notbeing able to calculate an accurate range. When I have quarter of a tank of petrol the range left is only 150 miles and by the time the fuel light comes it down to between 70 -80 miles! When it gets to about 50 miles and the range displays "_ _ _ _ "
I am sure that before it used say well over +-130 miles when the fuel light came.

My MPG is normal at about 40mpg.

Can anyone with a 1.6 model like mine say what their average range is when the fuel light comes on?

thank you
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

megane09
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: renault megane '04 dynamique, silver, 17 nervasport alloys.

Postby megane09 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:25 pm

ive noticed something similar with my 1.6 it'll go right down to like 45 miles then the light comes on , then the display just ---, im thinking it does this to urge you to fill up and not leave it too long so you run out of fuel.
'04 Megane Dynamique, 17' nervasports alloys

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Badly

Postby cyclonebri1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:31 am

I don't think there is a fault at all, the sensor guages how much fuel is left in the tank not how many miles you can still do. Because of differnt engines, driving styles and conditions, the range left can be anything between about 30 and 70 miles. The range then indicates -- but you have 1 gall approx left :cool:

My diesel normally triggers at about 70 as on average it gives 60-65 mpg

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane 2.0 VVT Dynamique Sport Hatch

Postby MéganeDynamique » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:48 am

Perfectly normal. My 2.0 never goes lower than 35 miles then ----

I guess it's just to make you panic and stop at the nearest petrol station.

As for the inaccuracies, it calculates the range based on your average mpg. So if you drive it really hard it will plummet, then as your average mpg rises, so does the range.

Basically they are not to be relied upon!
Ottoman Blue 2.0 VVT Privilège 5 Door - Full beige leather, ESP, Xenon headlights, Carminat Navigation, Cruise etc.
Ink Blue 2.0 VVT Dynamique 3 Door... Black Leather, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, tyre pressure sensors, Hands Free etc.

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:55 pm

It'll be the compensation culture, if it displayed down to zero someone would run out of fuel when displaying a few miles left. Then sue Renault for expense and time having to get fuel :-)

andywills
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.6e 16V VVT

Postby andywills » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:27 pm

ignore it, that thing will drive you crackers, along with the miles per gallon one...just keep your eye on the fuel gauge like they used to do in the good old days :)
Renault Megané Dynamique 1.6e 16v VVT 2004

Busy_Man
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 1.8 Zafira Life Auto

Postby Busy_Man » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:28 am

Every car I have owned has had the same issue with fuel guages, first half of the tank takes a while to work down, but once the needle is past the half way mark it drops a lot quicker.

The miles to empty and the average mpg on the meg are quite inaccurate to be honest, manually working out the figure based on filling up the tank to 1 click, driving till I need to fill up (usually only about 400 miles :mad ) and refil to the same level show that I'm actually getting more than displayed on the computer.

Anyone else noticed that it's easy to get high MPG figures on the first half of the tank, and then as it drops off the second half the figure drops as well even when driving style/routes haven't changed!?

I'm just glad that I have 2 ways of working out when I need to fill up, my first car's fuel guage never did work so that made for some interesting trips out.
04 Plate 1.6 Dynamique

Issues to Date:
Dephaser - replaced
Cam Sensor - replaced
Start up problems, goes to two cylinders unless reved to hell - annoying, but untraced cause.
Water Leak in Boot - removed, came back, removed, came back again. Given up

deni.babe
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: megane 1.6vvt

Postby deni.babe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:26 pm

the light on mine usually comes on at around 40 miles left in the tank but shows --- this is normal i was told ,so all i do now is when light comes on i drive 30 mile with light on then fill up.

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:38 pm

deni.babe wrote:the light on mine usually comes on at around 40 miles left in the tank but shows --- this is normal i was told ,so all i do now is when light comes on i drive 30 mile with light on then fill up.

Theres a good bit more in the red than 30 miles, i have done twice that at least from the meter going to ----.I wreckon from the petrol light going on you have about 8-9L of fuel left.

cyclonebri1
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Badly

Postby cyclonebri1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:46 pm

ulrich100 wrote:
deni.babe wrote:the light on mine usually comes on at around 40 miles left in the tank but shows --- this is normal i was told ,so all i do now is when light comes on i drive 30 mile with light on then fill up.

Theres a good bit more in the red than 30 miles, i have done twice that at least from the meter going to ----.I wreckon from the petrol light going on you have about 8-9L of fuel left.

You are being lucky, you will ahve a min of a gallon/4.5 ltrs left.
This wil be 30 to 70 miles dependant on your car/engine/driving.

Chanced it further than that ? then get ready

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:56 pm

cyclonebri1 wrote:
ulrich100 wrote:

You are being lucky, you will ahve a min of a gallon/4.5 ltrs left.
This wil be 30 to 70 miles dependant on your car/engine/driving.

Chanced it further than that ? then get ready

Well from the light going on and a fill straight away cost me £50.80 or close to that... So being a 60L tank would indicated there is about 8 - 9L left.

Ooo and buy no means do i take it easy... infact im fed up picking my key card out of the foot weld.

Return to “Problems / Questions”