One Problem after Another!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

richm046

One Problem after Another!

Postby richm046 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi,

I took my Megane II 1.9 dci to the garage for a cambelt change and service but upon doing this they somehow managed to fry the ecu which they have now replaced.

Now I have my car home for 2 days and the boot wont open! is this likely to be electrical or the latch?
Also my airbag light and service light has now come on and says steering not locked and it will not lock!

Calling the various garages who have worked on it back up tomorrow. Does anyone know how to get these annoying problems easily myself?

richm046

Re: One Problem after Another!

Postby richm046 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:49 pm

**edit airbag light has gone out and steering now locked**

will keep an eye on it

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:33 am

richm046 wrote:**edit airbag light has gone out and steering now locked**

will keep an eye on it

It's to do with the wiring and connectors under the front seats so it might come and go, especially if you move either seat.

If you don't hear any sound (ie the switch attempting to operate the latch) it is likely to be electrical and if it's not a fuse I'd start with drying out the switch. It's covered elsewhere.

richm046

Postby richm046 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Thanks, any idea about the boot?

Toodeep
Pass Plus

Postby Toodeep » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:11 pm

The last paragraph was meant to relate to the boot. Sorry. If you look through the topics you will see it answered in more detail within the past few days.

richm046

Postby richm046 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:52 pm

Thanks, If i start unplugging and cleaning connectors under the seat is that going to cause problems or shall i wait for renault to have a look at it

richm046

Postby richm046 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:12 pm

Heres a few more specifics...

When i wiggle the wires under the seat the airbag light goes out and the steering locks and when the airbag light comes on i'm sure I can here the boot catch engage..?

Does anyone know anything about this or how to fix it?

Thanks

Toodeep
Pass Plus

Postby Toodeep » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:12 am

I'd be surprised if it is the boot catch (actually nothing should surprise me and since you boot isn't working . . . ). Maybe it's something to do with the curtain airbags. The business end for these is above the tailgate window.

If you mess with the connectors for the seat (or any other) airbags, make sure the ignition is off at the very least and wait a good 15 minutes (get confirmation of the exact time as I'm going from memory) since the pyrotechnics remain charged for a while even when off. Cleaning might work but, by all accounts, it's just the inferior quality that's the cause. I read here recently that someone took the radical step of by-passing the connectors and splicing the wires together. Another solution in the same vein would be use better connectors.

midgelfc
Passed Theory

Postby midgelfc » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:06 pm

richm046 wrote:Heres a few more specifics...

When i wiggle the wires under the seat the airbag light goes out and the steering locks and when the airbag light comes on i'm sure I can here the boot catch engage..?

Does anyone know anything about this or how to fix it?

Thanks

Richm had a problem with my boot a few wks ago, To open you have to crawl into the boot and push back the trim near the latch mechanism. From memory there is a curved slot just left of centre on the latch inside which is a small white thing that has to be slid along the slot (to the left I think) with a pen or small screwdriver. The tailgate should pop open.

Taken from Toodeep's post on my thread when i had this problem. Hope it helps
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10583

richm046

Postby richm046 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks for the reply, I managed to get the boot open from the inside. There is no responce from the switch when pressed. Dont think it has its own fuse to check? Rest of the central locking works. Havent took the switch out yet to see if its getting a feed because i couldnt figure out how

Toodeep
Pass Plus

Postby Toodeep » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:07 pm

The most you'll have to do if you can't just prise out the switch with a screwdriver or dinner knife is take off the tailgate trim panel. From there it is simple to reach inside and press together the clips on the short sides of the switch. The same implement can be used to open up the switch (slowly so as not to lose the small spring). As long as there is no corrosion, a gentle dry out with a hair dryer should be all that's needed. Think about using some sealant before you re-assemble or even wrapping a little clingfilm around it is better than nothing.

richm046

Postby richm046 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Toodeep wrote:The most you'll have to do if you can't just prise out the switch with a screwdriver or dinner knife is take off the tailgate trim panel. From there it is simple to reach inside and press together the clips on the short sides of the switch. The same implement can be used to open up the switch (slowly so as not to lose the small spring). As long as there is no corrosion, a gentle dry out with a hair dryer should be all that's needed. Think about using some sealant before you re-assemble or even wrapping a little clingfilm around it is better than nothing.

Thanks, I wasnt sure if it would prise out or not and didnt want to force it, shall try and prise it tomorrow. Is something under the seats likely to be the cause?

richm046

Postby richm046 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:28 pm

Have got the switch out and opened it up and no signs of moisture in there, havent got a multimeter to check any feed at the minute tho...Hope this isnt anything serious!
**edit** found a live feed tester and there is no live feed so im hoping someone might enligten me that there is a boot fuse somewhere i can check cause i cant find it and hoping it is that?

thanks

Return to “Problems / Questions”