car wont start (wont even turn over)

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

me-and-my-renault
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.4

car wont start (wont even turn over)

Postby me-and-my-renault » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:11 pm

ok, the prblemo :(

sometimes when i go to start the car, the thing wont turn over,

all the lights come up on the dash, fuel pump comes on, steering lock goes off, but not even a whisper off electric to the starter motor :(

this has happened a couple times, so i have to get it bumped started with a little push (jump starting with a set off jump leads dont work)

things ive tried,

using the spare key (before loosing it)
tried pressing the brake or the the clutch pedal,
lifting the pedals up,
taking out the key, and leaving the car for an hr,
rocking the car in gear,

so i took the car to a local garage who ive used for a while and they said the possible faults could be,

the clutch switch,
the brake switch,
start key,
sticky starter motor,
ECU

has anybody got any ideas on the fault or have they had this problem :cry

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: car wont start (wont even turn over)

Postby davelowe » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:31 pm

Switch on head lights, try to start engine. Listen for clicking sound, observe brightness of head lights. If lights dim and click heard, battery dead. If lights do not dim and no click heard, probably no current reaching starter solenoid. Check connection to solenoid as a start point. Then fuse for starter motor (and the big wire), then more complex electronics.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

me-and-my-renault

Postby me-and-my-renault » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:42 pm

davelowe wrote:Switch on head lights, try to start engine. Listen for clicking sound, observe brightness of head lights. If lights dim and click heard, battery dead. If lights do not dim and no click heard, probably no current reaching starter solenoid. Check connection to solenoid as a start point. Then fuse for starter motor (and the big wire), then more complex electronics.

thanks<

whats the best way to get into the starter motor for the solenoid? are the bushes prone to burning out?

dont think its the battery, 1st time i had this problem was 6month ago (thought it was because car lay for a while before i got it), but it has happend about 6times since, (its only got 28k for a 52plate)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:49 pm

What model is it?

me-and-my-renault

Postby me-and-my-renault » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:27 pm

1.4 16v dynamiqe, 52 plate registered 03.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:44 pm

The starter motor is difficult to get at (back of the engine). You may be able to access it from the top, but expect to have to remove air ducts and trim. It might be easier from below if you remove the sump guard. As a test, remove the solenoid connector (blade type) and use a multimeter to measure whether there is 12V when you 'turn the key'. Personally I would do this test before attempting to remove the starter motor or disassemble it. At least this way, you can eliminate problems with the immobiliser and other technology.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:46 pm

By the way, is the 2002 battery the original?

me-and-my-renault

Postby me-and-my-renault » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:17 pm

davelowe wrote:The starter motor is difficult to get at (back of the engine). You may be able to access it from the top, but expect to have to remove air ducts and trim. It might be easier from below if you remove the sump guard. As a test, remove the solenoid connector (blade type) and use a multimeter to measure whether there is 12V when you 'turn the key'. Personally I would do this test before attempting to remove the starter motor or disassemble it. At least this way, you can eliminate problems with the immobiliser and other technology.

thanks, ill give it a try once the snow dissipears a little and i can get under the car.

not sure if its the original battery, but it happened again this morning, gave the head lamp thing a wee try and they stayed the same brightness, and its like theres no powere getting to the starter,

stopped the car on a hill and and went to start it again, but nothing, so gave it a couple mile run, and all was ok in starting, saying that tho, the car is in the drive and hasnt been touched for a couple hrs :(

IrvinsMegane
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 16v VVT Dynamique,

Postby IrvinsMegane » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:32 pm

i had the same problem with my meggy, i had to get my local recovery operator to come out, all he did was use a hammer and a screwdriver,
he inserted the screwdriver part in the starter motor and gave it a good whack as i tried starting it, an hey presto it started first time, try that, good luck!!

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Solenoid wire is the most likely problem. Hitting the starter motor is an old fashioned technique where they get jammed in engagement. There are other posts about this problem.

me-and-my-renault

Postby me-and-my-renault » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:38 pm

davelowe wrote:Solenoid wire is the most likely problem. Hitting the starter motor is an old fashioned technique where they get jammed in engagement. There are other posts about this problem.

IrvinsMegane wrote:i had the same problem with my meggy, i had to get my local recovery operator to come out, all he did was use a hammer and a screwdriver,
he inserted the screwdriver part in the starter motor and gave it a good whack as i tried starting it, an hey presto it started first time, try that, good luck!!

well finally got the cash to get it sorted, it was the starter motor, it finaly wouldnt even start wth hitting it with a pole (sould off been attached to a stick of dynamite i think), but £170 for diagnosis, supply an fitting sounded fair to me :)

thanks to all those hints and tips :)

davidmartin4797

geek squad appointment

Postby davidmartin4797 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:09 am

The Geek Squad brand itself was fun and irreverent, and Agents were easily identifiable by their badges, black pants, white shirts, break-away ties and signature GeekMobiles™ (the first car was a 1958 Simca Aronde 1300 Elysee!). In a short time, the iconic orange, black and white Geek Squad logo became a well-known symbol of tech help in the communities it served.

For more information visit site :- Geek Squad tech support

Geek Squad appointment

Return to “Problems / Questions”