FIXED!! Electric Window Regulator -

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dean-weston
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 54 Megane 2 - 1.6VVT

FIXED!! Electric Window Regulator -

Postby dean-weston » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:25 am

Hi all - I’m sure this has been covered a few times before, but this is my story - (bit long but wanted to get everything in)

Christmas 2010 my front passenger window stopped working after a rather heavy down pour - unsure what this was I decided to ignore it as it was too cold to have the windows open - a few months later when it had warmed up it started working again.....
HOWEVER
Whenever I washed the car it would stop for a few days, when I pressed the button a very slight click could be heard from the passenger door but the window wouldn’t open.

December 2011 - window stopped working again after heavy rain, didn’t start working again, a friend told me this is because they get cold and damp.... SO... I removed the speaker grill and speaker from the door and placed a hair dryer in the hole, after running on low heat for an hour or so the window was working again, until the next rain when it stopped.

After calling around several places I learned it was a common fault caused by a failed window regulator and would need to be replaced at a cost of several hundred quid. So I decided to have a bash my self.

The fault is caused by water damaging the unit due to Renaults fantastic water proofing, armed with this knowledge I figured I was looking for some type of water damage/corrosion - Upon removing the door card and scraping my knuckles I unscrewed the window regulator and couldn’t see anything obvious. I disconnected the unit from the power cable (large plug) surprise surprise; the pins looked a little worse for wear...... I gave them a good blast with WD40 (both the pins and the plug) a little rub down with a fine file and another WD40 blast. Plugged it back in and guess what????? A working electric window!!!!

I’m now waiting for some rain to see if this is a perm fix, if so I will be removing it again, giving it a good squirt with switch cleaner and some silicone to seal it properly.

But it could just be that this £200 + repair/replacement are nothing but a licence to print money.

THIS IS MY STORY! :life

neilldrever
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6 16v Dynamique 3dr with K&N Apollo CIS
Antique Green with Candy Pink detailing
7" DVD headunit with twin 7" rear screens

Re: FIXED!! Electric Window Regulator -

Postby neilldrever » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Having just bought a secondhand 3 door Megane with both windows not working I shall be embarking on this repair myself very soon so any photos you might have or tips for door disassembly would be much appreciated :-)

cxn

Postby cxn » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:42 pm

hi i had the same problem but it wasnt the regulator

i removed the speaker unclipped the power connector to the regulator inside it is a trip switch little blue thing push it back in an your window might work again, prob only a couple inch at a time.
put your window all the way up then hold the switch for 5 second it should now work properly

dean-weston
Learner Driver

Postby dean-weston » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:49 am

neilldrever wrote:Having just bought a secondhand 3 door Megane with both windows not working I shall be embarking on this repair myself very soon so any photos you might have or tips for door disassembly would be much appreciated :-)

If like me, you can hear a very faint "click" when you press the window button, this might be your answer, if not... its worth a try anyway!

My best advise for removing the door card is..... Its difficult to get it off, and its even more difficult to get it back on..... this helped me massivly.

https://sites.google.com/site/proluxelectronics/how-to

Unfortunatly i dont have any pics but with some patience its very do-able. when re-fitting the door card, there are 2 metal beams which run down the door and have the 2 bottom screws in, just ensure these are lined up when re-fitting, also the card has to be lifted when removing, and pushed down when re-fitting.

Let me know how you get on, and its tricky so getting another body to help wouldnt hurt. just stick at it and you will get it.

D

dean-weston
Learner Driver

Postby dean-weston » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:50 am

cxn wrote:hi i had the same problem but it wasnt the regulator

i removed the speaker unclipped the power connector to the regulator inside it is a trip switch little blue thing push it back in an your window might work again, prob only a couple inch at a time.
put your window all the way up then hold the switch for 5 second it should now work properly

Can you get to the regulator power control by just removing the speaker?

If so this would make the job much easier?

The other guy looking at this might want to give this a try before removing the whole card....

dean-weston
Learner Driver

Postby dean-weston » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:15 am

FOUND THIS ALSO >

Re: Electric Window Motor
by cxn » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:15 pm

window regulator seem to fail because of water ingress problems

try take the door card off, unplug the connector from the bottom of the window motor see if theres a green or blue thing popping uop if sdo push it back dopwn its a trip switch.

or it could be the control box has a dry joint on pcb which can be resoldered

the motors do fail but best checking the cheapest options first

Which also points to a type of reset switch

neilldrever
Passed Theory

Postby neilldrever » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:29 pm

The guy I bought the car off (a good friend) had both motors checked and they were fine so my problem is either the regs or the switches unfortunately I live in Scotland so waiting for a day without rain to have a look may take a while :roll:

I will certainly try the speaker removal tip first before stripping the doors down as I don't think the wife would appreciate the car in bits for more than an afternoon :)

cxn

Postby cxn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:49 pm

you can get your hand to the regulator/motor area but it would be difficult to do anything its easier to just remove the card from the door

neilldrever
Passed Theory

Postby neilldrever » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:55 pm

In the end I stripped the door card off and had a good poke about. When I took the connector off it looked ok so I unclipped the next part to reveal the PCB and connectors and found a tide mark from water ingress. After I cleaned that up everything worked.......until the next rain shower :(

Will have to try again and seal it up if I can get it working again

neilldrever
Passed Theory

Postby neilldrever » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:15 pm

Didn't want to start another thread about this so here's where i'm at........

Stripped passenger side down, cleaned up the connections and got it working, put the door back together and it stopped :x
Stripped the door down again and found that, as I had lightly sanded the spade connections, it was a loose connection so sorted that and refitted everything and it's all fine :-)

Moved on to the drivers side (which wasn't working, then did after a clean up and now doesn't again), stripped everything down, cleaned up connections but alas nothing......no clicks......nothing :(
The dual switch assembly operates the passenger side but I get nothing on the drivers side.......

Before I go out and buy parts does anyone have any ideas what it could be that's failing?
I don't think it's a UCH problem as the passenger side is fine and can also be operated from the drivers side, the switch assembly on the drivers side is unlikely to be faulty IMO so it's a toss up between the regulator and the motor I think.

Does anyone have any tips for testing these parts to find out or any sources for cheap replacements/repairs or aftermarket solutions?

By the way....the green/blue 'trip switch' is in fact just a small tubular insert to seal the unused connection (pin 5) in the plug, it does nothing else (I fully dismantled the plug to check for water ingress and pulled it completely out)

Cheers

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:33 pm

There is a post somewhere hereabouts detailing a repair with a cheap common relay. The motors don't normally fail - it's the little plastic box on top that does - the regulator.

Have a search.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

neilldrever
Passed Theory

Postby neilldrever » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:06 pm

davelowe wrote:There is a post somewhere hereabouts detailing a repair with a cheap common relay. The motors don't normally fail - it's the little plastic box on top that does - the regulator.

Cheers, I was doubtful it could be the motor as apparently they were both checked by a garage not long before I bought the car off my mate and were deemed to be in full working order.

Will continue trawling the forum and internet in my bid for fresh air :cool:

Return to “Problems / Questions”