Need new aircon pipe.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

cynicalpig
Currently Drives:: Renault megane 2 1.6 dynamique 2007

Need new aircon pipe.

Postby cynicalpig » Sun May 27, 2012 8:35 pm

This is my 1st post on here so firstly I'd like to say hi to everyone.
I Just bought a megane 2 facelift 1.6 dynamique 5dr 2007. Realised the aircon was not working while on the test drive and presumed it mite be out of gas. I knocked the dealer down from £3150 to £2975 so I was still happy.
on closer inspection when I got home I found that the aircon pip that goes from the chamber to the bulkhead had been rubbing on another metal bracket and worn a small hole in the pipe. Oh dear, maybe I should of bartered more. Anyway my question is has anybody ever changed the pipe? Difficulty rating and are they expensive to buy/fit/and refill. Hope someone can help. Thanks for taking the time to read and so far I love the car. :-)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Need new aircon pipe.

Postby davelowe » Sun May 27, 2012 10:05 pm

A/C work should be trusted to a pro - unless you are one yourself.

Loss of refrigerant AND lubrication will result in no A/C and could kill your compressor. Switch off the A/C just in case the clutch has a mis-speak and decides to turn on.

My thoughts are that you should either get the dealer to rectify the fault (sales of goods act), or source the part your require yourself, then have a suitably equipped garage re-gas/oil the system. Contrary to other opinions, I find Kwik Fit a good bargain at £25-50. They won't fit the part though. And, I wouldn't advise you try it yourself either - it (from my position) is a law, or trade, unto itself.

Try the dealer first (threaten legal action), then get quotes.

Good luck.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

cynicalpig
Currently Drives:: Renault megane 2 1.6 dynamique 2007

Re: Need new aircon pipe.

Postby cynicalpig » Sun May 27, 2012 10:15 pm

Thanks Dave. Definatley not gna try it myself. Not really up on stuff like that. gna take it to the local garage thurs as they do aircon fixing and refilling. got a feeling its gna be expensive but at least it will be sorted. the dealer I bought it from is only a 1 man shop with about a dozen cars so I dnt think I'll get much out of him as I already badgered the price down for this reason. Will repost when Ive got a quote for the whole job and let every1 knw the price. Mite be helpful to someone if their's packs up.
Thanks for replying.

Return to “Problems / Questions”