Renault Megane II AC not blowing air

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Khaleal
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2

Renault Megane II AC not blowing air

Postby Khaleal » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi,

I have a Renault Megane II 1.6 16v 2005. Recently the AC stopped working completely.
When I turn the AC on it doesn't blow any air (cold or hot) but I can hear the compressor kicking when I rotate the AC from 0 to 1,2,3,4. The AC pipes are cold.
I've inspected the fuses under the steering wheel and all seem fine. I've never checked the fuse box under the hood.
What could cause such thing?

Your help is appreciated :)

cba
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 2004 + Several Motorbikes

Re: Renault Megane II AC not blowing air

Postby cba » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:30 pm

Khaleal wrote:Hi,

I have a Renault Megane II 1.6 16v 2005. Recently the AC stopped working completely.
When I turn the AC on it doesn't blow any air (cold or hot) but I can hear the compressor kicking when I rotate the AC from 0 to 1,2,3,4. The AC pipes are cold.
I've inspected the fuses under the steering wheel and all seem fine. I've never checked the fuse box under the hood.

Does the fan work at all? Even with the AC off?

Khaleal

Postby Khaleal » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:40 am

cba wrote:

If you mean the front fan of the car then yes it works. The heater blower fan (which is located behind the glovebox isn't working at all)..

cba
Passed Theory

Postby cba » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:40 am

Khaleal wrote:
cba wrote:

If you mean the front fan of the car then yes it works. The heater blower fan (which is located behind the glovebox isn't working at all)..

We are talking about the A/C here. I see no reason why I'd be talking about the radiator fan!

Anyway, lol, it doesn't work at all leads me to believe that the resistor connector has melted.
Good news - your car hasn't caught fire.
Bad news - It'll cost about £40 to fix (if you do it yourself with eBay'd parts).

My local Renault dealership wanted £31 for the cable and £65 for the resistor. eBayed the lot for £35.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361360210721
+
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271584116152

Search around but that's about the cheapest you'll get.

Let me know if you need a details explanation on how to remove/replace. It's easy to do, however.

Khaleal

Postby Khaleal » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:26 pm

Thank you for the detailed answer. I really appreciate it.
Where are these parts located in a left-hand drive Megane II 2005 (Saloon)? I've disassembled the glove-box yesterday (where the cabin filter is and wasn't able to find any of those parts)..

cba
Passed Theory

Postby cba » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:27 pm

Khaleal wrote:Thank you for the detailed answer. I really appreciate it.
Where are these parts located in a left-hand drive Megane II 2005 (Saloon)? I've disassembled the glove-box yesterday (where the cabin filter is and wasn't able to find any of those parts)..

Remove the glove box, reach behind the centre console and you'll see the fan. It's probably easier to remove the fan. If you can wait, I can probably take some pictures?

You need a star screwdriver to take the resistor out (two screws).

I believe the saloon is the same as the hatchback.

Khaleal

Postby Khaleal » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:54 pm

cba wrote:

Remove the glove box, reach behind the centre console and you'll see the fan. It's probably easier to remove the fan. If you can wait, I can probably take some pictures?

When I removed the glove box I found no way to remove the fan as I couldn't find/reach any bolts/screws securing the fan.
I can absolutely wait. Some pictures would be useful.
I've watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI2MJl8W0yE
But my car isn't the same as shown in the video. I mean, When I remove the glove box I don't see that amount of cables and screws. I'll try taking some pictures as well.

cba
Passed Theory

Postby cba » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Khaleal wrote:
cba wrote:

When I removed the glove box I found no way to remove the fan as I couldn't find/reach any bolts/screws securing the fan.
I can absolutely wait. Some pictures would be useful.
I've watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI2MJl8W0yE
But my car isn't the same as shown in the video. I mean, When I remove the glove box I don't see that amount of cables and screws. I'll try taking some pictures as well.

Post some pics asap. I'm just watching the rugby. Once done, and once I've seen your pictures, I'll get you better video/pictures explaining what to do.

Return to “Problems / Questions”