megane dci heater blower not working on 4

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

megane dci heater blower not working on 4

Postby Phil and Liz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:37 am

Wife told me the other day that the heater blower on her dci coupe did not work on setting 4, ok on all others. I think i've read before that this is the heater resistor, did a search on ebay and Renault item is about £100, ebay around £12.00. Now i've seen all the news stories about gm zafiras catching fire due to chinese heater resistors poorly fitted, I only really need this car to keep going for about a year and am trying to keep costs down.

Options are, second hand Reanault item, cheap chinese item or leave it as is and tell her not to use setting 4

Anyone out there tried the cheap option ? I seem to remember that it is on the N/S footwell but could not seem to access the relevant section of the manual, is it easy to spot and fit ?

What is the actual part price from Renault ? has anybody bought one ?
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

cba
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 2004 + Several Motorbikes

Re: megane dci heater blower not working on 4

Postby cba » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:19 pm

Phil and Liz wrote:Wife told me the other day that the heater blower on her dci coupe did not work on setting 4, ok on all others. I think i've read before that this is the heater resistor, did a search on ebay and Renault item is about £100, ebay around £12.00. Now i've seen all the news stories about gm zafiras catching fire due to chinese heater resistors poorly fitted, I only really need this car to keep going for about a year and am trying to keep costs down.

Options are, second hand Reanault item, cheap chinese item or leave it as is and tell her not to use setting 4

Anyone out there tried the cheap option ? I seem to remember that it is on the N/S footwell but could not seem to access the relevant section of the manual, is it easy to spot and fit ?

What is the actual part price from Renault ? has anybody bought one ?

£100 for the whole kit from my local stealer.

I've done my own from eBay. The resistor was £12 (I've got a spare you can have for the cost of postage...and if I can find it) and the wiring was £35 but is good quality.

As long as you know your way around a set of wire cutters/strippers, you'll be fine.

One thing to look out for is snapping the heater blower clip. I broke two...

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:03 am

so is this a partial repair of the 'control unit' with a new resistor and replacing the wiring harness ? Was the harness a manufacturer part and then replace the resistor ? Guess it must be just another example of modern technology where its not just the resistor but the wirirng aint built to last either. Dont know why but the more jobs you do on a car, the more you like/respect it, have no feelings whatsoever for the 2012 and would miss it but not the monthly cost ! The 2008 just gets on with it and costs me not a lot. Guess one day one of the ECU's will pack up or the clutch will go etc. and it'll be goodbye.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

cba
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 2004 + Several Motorbikes

Postby cba » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:40 pm

Phil and Liz wrote:so is this a partial repair of the 'control unit' with a new resistor and replacing the wiring harness ? Was the harness a manufacturer part and then replace the resistor ? Guess it must be just another example of modern technology where its not just the resistor but the wirirng aint built to last either. Dont know why but the more jobs you do on a car, the more you like/respect it, have no feelings whatsoever for the 2012 and would miss it but not the monthly cost ! The 2008 just gets on with it and costs me not a lot. Guess one day one of the ECU's will pack up or the clutch will go etc. and it'll be goodbye.

The reason this happens to around 100% of all of these is they have put too much current through one pin causing too much heat. The resistor is fine, there are no issues with them in these cases, it's simply the wiring getting too hot and melting the plastic.

You cut the original wiring and solder/connect the new end. Really easy task
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271584116152 (may be cheaper elsewhere, just an example - it is a good price however.)

Mine came with several of these to connect the old to the new:
http://media.qcsupply.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/1/61270_1.jpg

I plan to get rid of mine after xmas. I seem to be doing something to it every week or so. It's working now but it's time for a cambelt change and I just cba with these sh1tty layouts lol.

Return to “Problems / Questions”