A new rattle and poor idle

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

alexandrahobbs22
Currently Drives:: Renault megane 1.6 vvt

A new rattle and poor idle

Postby alexandrahobbs22 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi I have 2003 1.6 Renault megane dynamique manual transmission. It has covered approx 105,000 miles, I bought the car in 2012 from a dealer in Chippenham. I live in the south West. Not long after I had it the car developed a starting rattle and would cut out, after several trips back to the dealer I self diagnosed a dephaser fault, so the lot was changed, cams pulleys, filters etc. Then it ran fine. I have previously damaged the car on the passenger side by mounting the kerb and popping 2 tyres, this also meant a new strut and cv joint. The steering is a bit clicky and I have been suggested it may need a new rack. I have also had a new clutch in October 2015.

Now I have another rattle, it's got a poor idle on start up where it will cut out unless you press on the gas to keep the revs up. The car stinks of petrol and there is a low throaty rattle from the rear. It also has poor power take up when first driven but when driving along is fine. The car has been regularly serviced and the last was in January this year. This fault was present before this service and continues now. I have bought a single coil pack and swapped it through all 4 with little change.

Anyone have any idea what this problem might be?

Thanks
Alex

Return to “Problems / Questions”