airbag light stays on

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

SteveJB

airbag light stays on

Postby SteveJB » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:52 pm

the airbag light and service light stays on all the time. why please ?

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Re: airbag light stays on

Postby q292u » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:10 pm

You need to get a code reader on it to find out what the errors are.
On the airbag thing, is the airbag turned off at the switch on the end of the dash?

Nickerino
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Privilege 2.0L convertible hard top

Postby Nickerino » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:27 pm

If you get air bag light and a spanner light.....switch engine off...slide drivers seat right back....under drivers seat, under the carpet you will see a connector box....unplug and put it back together......that should sort it. It will be a loose connection which usually gets upset be moving the drivers seat back and forth (happens to mine when wife drives it and messes with the seat).

With the service light...press and hold down for 10-20 seconds the button on the end of one of either the indicator arm or the other one ( the one which gets you to menu etc).......it cancels the light

good luck

Gumby6371
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5 dci 86 3 door

Postby Gumby6371 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:53 pm

Is it just me or does every make and model of car have a dodgy air bag connector under the drivers seat?

Always the first port of call when the airbag light comes on for me, I usually use a bit of contact cleaner while I'm there

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Postby triumph2.5man » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Even the mark 3 has this problem. When alerted by daughter (who drives the car) of the "check airbag" message, before plugging in CLIP, I looked under the rear of the seat. I found two large drink bottles. One empty but the other nearly full. Checking the wiring under the front of the seat I found it had been dislodged from its plastic holders. Putting it back in place eradicated the fault. Instruction to grandchildren not to leave bottles on the floor. The wiring must have received a heck of a thump.

Seriously though, it won't always be a bad connection. Over the years (with Mk 2) I have had two rotational connectors (clocksprings) break. The first sign is a rustling noise from behind the steering wheel as if a piece of silver paper is caught there. If this is the case I and others have covered the repair process in this forum if you wish to tackle the job yourself - not difficult.

Return to “Problems / Questions”