Hands-free keycard?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

coldandtired
Currently Drives:: Megane II saloon 2.0 16v petrol Privilege

Hands-free keycard?

Postby coldandtired » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:40 pm

One of the things that attracted me to Renault was the keycard, and I was very disappointed when I bought it to find that I still needed to place the card in the slot and press the button. This turned it into a, let's be honest, normal but rather more inconvenient, key. But being able to push the shopping cart to the car and have all the doors automatically unlocked and ready while the card was still in my bag mellowed me somewhat.

After a month of putting the card in the slot and pressing the button, last night leaving work for some reason I forgot and was a few hundred metres down the road before I realised the card was still in my bag. The car was driving fine, no warning lights, headlights were okay, no alarm sounds.

So, my question is, is this normal behaviour? Would the engine have cut out after 10 minutes? Does this mean my card system is malfunctioning?
Megane II saloon 2.0 16v petrol Privilege

moggiemegane

Re: Hands-free keycard?

Postby moggiemegane » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:13 pm

Yes this normal for hands free, as long as the card is in the car you can start the car and it will be ok, I normally put it in the slot so I don't sit on it or leave it in the car.

-KJ-
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Mégane II Ph.1 1.6 16v Dynamique Luxe, full leather seats, Carminat Informé 1 with CD-changer.

Postby -KJ- » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:44 pm

There are 2 versions of the card: one is handsfree, one is not. The last one needs to be in the slot during driving. The true handsfree card stay be in your pocket.

You can check if a Megane has the full handsfree card by looking behind the doorhandles: if there are little square sensors behind them, it's the full handfree version. You don't need to use your card to open the car, just put just hand behind the handle. The sensors will notice your hand and via the antennas in the doorhandle, the car will look for the presence of the card in the direct surroundings of the car. If they detect the card (in your pocket/bag), the doors will open.

Why don't you read the manual, it's all very clearly explained in there.
From Holland! Megane II Phase 1, Black Pearl, 1.6 16V LPG, Dynamique Luxe, full leather, Carminat 1 with CD-changer, Phase 2 front.

coldandtired

Postby coldandtired » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:56 pm

I did read the manual (in two different langauges just in case) and it says to put the card in the slot to start the car. That's why I was surprised when it started without it. So does this mean that every Megane has the slot even if you don't need it?

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby busternlouie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:16 pm

-KJ- wrote:There are 2 versions of the card: one is handsfree, one is not. The last one needs to be in the slot during driving. The true handsfree card stay be in your pocket.

You can check if a Megane has the full handsfree card by looking behind the doorhandles: if there are little square sensors behind them, it's the full handfree version. You don't need to use your card to open the car, just put just hand behind the handle. The sensors will notice your hand and via the antennas in the doorhandle, the car will look for the presence of the card in the direct surroundings of the car. If they detect the card (in your pocket/bag), the doors will open.

Why don't you read the manual, it's all very clearly explained in there.

Also look for the buttons on the outside of the door handles. These allow you to lock the car without using the card. You can leave the card in your bag permanently!!
2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:41 pm

also going by your signature, you have a privilege model. Assuming the specs are the same in the UK as Poland, then you will have handsfree as it's standard equipment for that trim level.

coldandtired

Postby coldandtired » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:43 pm

Thanks for the help, guys. This makes me feel a lot better, and it will shut up my gloating Peugeot-owning friend!

Does the car also auto-lock if you walk away from it?

jinxy

Postby jinxy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:02 pm

Somebody maybe able to help me here

My wife's Meg 1.5 dci Dynamique has the square sensors behind the handles but not the buttons on the handles.

Should the doors still unlock by just palcing your hand over the sensors as long as the card is in range? It has never worked on her car. Just assumed she did not have this feature. Also the card has to be in the slot for the car to start.

Can the proxiamity feature be enabled some way?

onlydiesels

Postby onlydiesels » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:52 pm

your car does`nt have handsfree. i think all megs have the squares behind the handle cos if not,renault would have to produce different door skin panels.

jinxy

Postby jinxy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:05 am

onlydiesels wrote:your car does`nt have handsfree. i think all megs have the squares behind the handle cos if not,renault would have to produce different door skin panels.

Cheers for that........just what I thought.

busternlouie
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: '05' Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby busternlouie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:28 pm

coldandtired wrote:
Does the car also auto-lock if you walk away from it?

unfortunately not, you still have to lock it yourself!
2005 Megane Sporthatch 2.0 VVT Dynamique Extreme Blue

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:24 pm

unless.. it's locked and you unlock it, but DON'T open a door.. then after 2 mins it will re-lock.

coldandtired

Postby coldandtired » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:47 pm

It's so much more fun without needing to take the card out of my bag! Now I just need to find a way to cover up the slot somehow...

Meganekid74

Postby Meganekid74 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:04 pm

I've just checked mine, it definitely has the Hands free. but as long as i have the key card in my pocket, especially on the drivers door, it wont automatically unlock until i pull the handle? It also happens on both the rear doors. But when i go to the passenger door and place my hand behind the handle the car unlocks. Could there be a problem?

Please HELP

VroomVroomClonk
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 DCi CC 2004

Postby VroomVroomClonk » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:22 am

Mine only has two doors as it is a convertible, but basically does the same as yours. On my passenger door the car unlocks as soon as I touch the handle, but on my drivers door I have to operate the door handle first for it to unlock. I have always assumed it is because the car is designed as a left-hand drive for France, and Renault didn't bother swapping that feature to the other side for UK cars.

Return to “Problems / Questions”