Airbag Light On - Quote To Fix It Sky High

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mark_b
Learner Driver

Airbag Light On - Quote To Fix It Sky High

Postby mark_b » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:25 pm

A while ago my airbag light flashed on with the service light, i thought it was the usual have a look under the passenger seat, but to no prevail. Bring it to an auto spark and he puts it on the computer, and it brought up a fault regarding the driver side airbag igniter, he told me this is what makes the airbag come out and it will need replaced. So he rang renault and supposedly its £192+vat then whatever it is on labour to fit it! Is he having me on, or does this sound right??

mark...

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Airbag Light On - Quote To Fix It Sky High

Postby AlexB » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:32 pm

The answer is in the manual pointed at in my message in Links. Knowing the fault code read by the garage and what subsequent checks were done would be of help.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

westy_26
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: MKII Megane 1.6 Dynamique
Focus STaloon Panther Black

Postby westy_26 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:12 pm

We had this problem recently but the garage managed to reset it when they serviced the car. Said it was a loose wire / connector under the seat.

It seems ok now.

mark_b
Learner Driver

Postby mark_b » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:30 am

yeah it usually is a loose wire under the seat, but this time its not, the auto spark told me the part was called "strutts or scrutts" or something which is situated behind the steering wheel

dwgendy
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II Sedan, 1.6 - 16V, Grey.

Postby dwgendy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:17 pm

Freaking right. Yesterday as I was parking my car I heard a faint friction noise behind the steering wheel while rotating. I thought it was the plastic starting to move and touching each other. Today I noticed the funny SERVICE light and the airbage light are on. I looked carefully behind the steering wheel to check for the source of the friction noise (without taking anything off) and to my surprise, you can see the fu***** plastc strip that is supposed to manage electricaly connecting the rotating wheel to the stationary area surrounding the steering column. It is a white plastic strip that is supposed to roll in and out to stretch and lengthen or shorten as the steering is rotated left and right (to my guessing), it was broken and it was not stretching or shortening with the rotating wheel, just grinding agianst it while I can see the stum of it's previous attachement to the wheel.
Now, I've heard that this is a common problem with the Megans, I also heard it is a bloody expensive piece of sh1t.... far over a thousand Egyptian pound (100 british pound) but almost reaching 200 is just fu****** for a common fault. Does anyone know if the warranty for this has been extended or anything??
Megane II sedan, 2005, 1.6, 16V, Steptronic.

mark_b
Learner Driver

Postby mark_b » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:46 am

i was actually there when he showed me the fault saying it was the driver side igniter for the airbag, i suppose i may go and get it diagonosed again and take a note of the code

dwgendy
Passed Theory

Postby dwgendy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:03 am

Anger yes, alot,, :) I doubt ...
I don't really care for the amount of maney as much as the fact that I KNOW for sure, (no doubt) that they will not know how to fix it, and if they do, they will break or screw up something els. I have never, ever had them fix something and got successfull results, and if I did, something els was fu**ed up. Renault Egypt is the worst dealer anyone can ever have. They know nothing about this car and they can't fix anything. Even if you point out the problem and it's reason, even adivse on how to fix it. They still can't aknowledge that something is wrong sometimes!
It's a pitty, I see alot of people here on this site who are technically well informed and they fix things by themselves. I for example learmed alot about cars and michanics since I got this car. But, come on, I am an Eye Surgion. I don't need to know all this, I don't have to learn all this, I don't have to worry about how airbags work or how coils are tested and weather my car has grey or brown toped coils. I don't have to worry about an aircondition that is dripping water inside my car where I have to fix it myself becasue the idiot dealers can't do it properly. I am not unhappy with the car, I just think it needs to be made by someone els other the Renault. I bet if Dacia made it we'll see a better and a much more relianble car. I don't think anyone els can screw up more than this, so it is only up hill form here :-) this is the bottom :-)
I had an Opel Corsa for 11 years, nothing broke down, it never failed me over the 11 years. my brother had a mitsubishi lancer for 10years, we sold it for the same price as we bought it!! If I sell my megane now, it will be 1/3 it's original price which is almost the same price we got for the 10 old Lancer. My megane is 4 years old!!
Anyway, I'll book it for a check up soon, once I have time. And lets see what they have to say about it.

dwgendy
Passed Theory

Postby dwgendy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:36 am

freddymercurystwin wrote:
I bet you can change the bulbs in record time though! :twisted:[/quote]

LOL , funny enough, I do!!! I mean for god sake, what kinaa car is this that demands you to go book a date and stand in line to change a light bulb!! what if your bulb gets fried while on a trip away!!! You have to put up with it till u get back and make an appointment!! :-) this car proves how stupid the makers are in every detail :) LOL

nickbell69
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megane 1.9dci priv 53

Postby nickbell69 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:10 pm

freddymercurystwin wrote:
dwgendy wrote:But, come on, I am an Eye Surgion.
I bet you can change the bulbs in record time though! :twisted:

I'm getting good at bulb changing now so maybe i'll move onto eyes next. Anyone any problems with eyesight? I'll be along with my torch and magnifying glass. I also have a black and decker laser level, i'm sure that'd be ok for laser treatment
Dwgendy any jobs going? :D

Return to “Problems / Questions”