Anyone bought one yet

The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

cbpete
Currently Drives:: mini cooper

Re: Anyone bought one yet

Postby cbpete » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi Guys,
Well I did not get one, I have stuck with Mini and got the Clubman Diesel, Its got more rear seat room than my 3 door had and the boot is a lot better as well. Plus I like the fact I am getting 75MPG on a run. Plus I like the stop start as well, don't understand why it is not on all new cars.
I was wondering why Renault had not fitted the 2.0 diesel engine was reading what AlexB was saying about the car, can not understand why they didn't make it fit in, was expecting them to have dropped the 1.9 Diesel in favor of the 2.0 litre.
Pete
Last edited by cbpete on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:19 pm

Pete,

Well done, Clubman Diesel is an excellent car! It is one of those which will still look good after 10 years.

Regarding the engines of Megane III -- I think it was originally designed for 1.5dci. The "top of the range" 1.9dci is based on F9Q basic design first introduced in 1996 and many times modified, so in reality it is just an ad-hoc upgrade, which the designers never expected to become overly popular. Therefore, my impression is that Renault has reduced Megane to the level of Clio for boys. Unfortunately, the marketing department became confused with the name and forgot to reduce the price... I can be mistaken, of course. What I clearly see is that Renault effectively has excluded me and my wife from the circle of their future customers.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:26 pm

I heard there is a 1.6dci with 130 BHP coming this year, that sounds interesting.....

feefee
Currently Drives:: Mark III Megane 1.5 Dci Privilege

Postby feefee » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi All

I have a Mark III 1.5Dci privilege model and as posted on "Ownership Problems" I am NOT impressed.

This car overall has been the worst and most unreliable car I have ever owned in 25 years of driving. The car is actually being replaced by Renault as its soooooo bad!!!! My replacement vehicle is due July 2009.

I am impressed by the shape and external styling. Internally the digital speedo looks very 80's but is OK and easy to see. Comfort wise its fine but access to rear seats with those with mobility problems is very poor - theres not much legroom. The internal door handles on the front doors could be placed a bit further back for ease of opening the doors particularly when in a tight space.
The fabric on privilege seats looks good but catches every bit of fluff possible.
Fuel consumption is OK - it was better in my 1.5 Dci Qashqai though - which is a lot bigger car. I am getting 43 MPG - the Qashqai 50MPG

The build quality is a major concern though. I have faulty wiring loom - being replaced on Tuesday, faulty courtesy lights, fuses blown, retaining clips to fuel pipe renewal, glove box is warped and doesn't close. Dash isn't fitted properly, door rattles, water penetration in indicator on wing mirror, rear view mirror casing falls off ... the list goes on.

What I was very cheesed off about was that the 1.5DCi engine vibrated very badly from cold and sound like an aircraft taking off. It lasted for 20 mins and was worse around 1500revs. My car was in garage for 3 weeks until a fix was found by Renault France (bear in mind the car was brand new!!)- apparantly now all newly manufactured cars have this done as part of the manufacturing process which now includes this fix. If you are unlucky to have this problem in an early model of this car. Perhaps your dealer could advise. My dash and engine had to be taken out..... Total nightmare... The noise is still there although to be fair - much improved.

Having owned 9 Nissans, 2 VW, 1 x Peugeot and this Renault, sadly I will not be purchasing Renault again... When I get this new car I intend to trade it in - taking a hit in the pocket but I have lost all faith in the brand. Pity really because car is a vast improvement style wise on the Mark II - (Sorry guys but I didn't like the Shaking that ass big bum thing)

Sorry for this long post and mega moaning but I think I'm allowed :cry
Cheers
Fee x

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 pm

feefee wrote:Hi All

I have a Mark III 1.5Dci privilege model and as posted on "Ownership Problems" I am NOT impressed.

This car overall has been the worst and most unreliable car I have ever owned in 25 years of driving. The car is actually being replaced by Renault as its soooooo bad!!!! My replacement vehicle is due July 2009.

I am impressed by the shape and external styling. Internally the digital speedo looks very 80's but is OK and easy to see. Comfort wise its fine but access to rear seats with those with mobility problems is very poor - theres not much legroom. The internal door handles on the front doors could be placed a bit further back for ease of opening the doors particularly when in a tight space.
The fabric on privilege seats looks good but catches every bit of fluff possible.
Fuel consumption is OK - it was better in my 1.5 Dci Qashqai though - which is a lot bigger car. I am getting 43 MPG - the Qashqai 50MPG

The build quality is a major concern though. I have faulty wiring loom - being replaced on Tuesday, faulty courtesy lights, fuses blown, retaining clips to fuel pipe renewal, glove box is warped and doesn't close. Dash isn't fitted properly, door rattles, water penetration in indicator on wing mirror, rear view mirror casing falls off ... the list goes on.

What I was very cheesed off about was that the 1.5DCi engine vibrated very badly from cold and sound like an aircraft taking off. It lasted for 20 mins and was worse around 1500revs. My car was in garage for 3 weeks until a fix was found by Renault France (bear in mind the car was brand new!!)- apparantly now all newly manufactured cars have this done as part of the manufacturing process which now includes this fix. If you are unlucky to have this problem in an early model of this car. Perhaps your dealer could advise. My dash and engine had to be taken out..... Total nightmare... The noise is still there although to be fair - much improved.

Having owned 9 Nissans, 2 VW, 1 x Peugeot and this Renault, sadly I will not be purchasing Renault again... When I get this new car I intend to trade it in - taking a hit in the pocket but I have lost all faith in the brand. Pity really because car is a vast improvement style wise on the Mark II - (Sorry guys but I didn't like the Shaking that ass big bum thing)

Sorry for this long post and mega moaning but I think I'm allowed :cry
Cheers
Fee x

sounds like you were unlucky.... maybe it was just the car and others might be better.....

feefee

Postby feefee » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Hahahahahaha...... only just joined and started a war --- bring it on!!!!!

oops .. I knew that would offend but nah..... still dont like that big box thingy

Luv to all
Fee :hug

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:52 pm

feefee,

Try to get full refund. There will be faults in the replacement car. Remember, the dealer has only 3 attempts to fix them. This includes the attempts spent on the first car as well. Therefore, always try to formulate the fault in your complaint as broad as possible. For example: the engine does not work properly (any engine fault including vibration) or the controls do not work (any electrical fault). You are legally not obliged to understand the technical nature of a fault -- only its effect on use of the vehicle.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

feefee

Postby feefee » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi

AlexB - I have tried the refund thing but no chance!! - I haven't any more fight in me to be honest as I feel I have been through a wringer backwards with all this hassle - a replacement will do me OK. I am realistic to know that cars have faults - minor ones I can cope with - part of car ownership however, if the biggy ones happen thats a different kettle of fish. My hubby suggested that we get a few months of use of our new car then trade it in for a 59 plate (another marque) but we'll see.

Are Renault electrics really as bad and why oh why isn't it better publicised???

Ps - heard from a Renault mechanic that they had another Megane III in recently with a terrible rattle under the dashboard... Thank God its not only mine.

Keep you all posted how my new car goes.... You will hear me from a miles away if its ot up to scratch... Hope the dealership PDI this car better than the last one...

Fee x

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:11 pm

feefee,

In order to get the refund one needs to go through a certain routine and be able to count to three. You need three papers confirming the car being diagnosed with the same type of fault. They already used one or two attempts on the wiring loom and one attempt on the other faults from your list. I hope you have everything properly documented. The new car will also have faults -- look well and you'll find them. If you are afraid that they may actually fix everything in the new car, then change the dealer to one from our Bad Dealers list and they will damage the car as soon as they touch it. Anyway, as they are replacing the car now -- take it and see.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

feefee

Postby feefee » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks for the advice AlexB

I intend trading the car in as soon as I get it - so problems wont be my look out... to be honest if dealership find any issues and fix them at PDI all well and good, they should be doing that in the first place - rather than sending out faulty goods.....

I know I will be taking a financial hit in my pocket but better that than a nervous breakdown with stress and worry. i am not naive enough to think that my new car wont have problems - it most probably will , but little ones as I said I can cope with... Not looking for a refund... just another vehicle.

It really is terrible that this is how I feel about my car - I hate it and just cant wait to get shot of it.

Car is back in today for faulty wiring loom to get done.... Guess what the courtesy car is - you'll never guess..... a Renault Kangoo....Yeuch - absolutely revolting - looks like a postman pat van.......

It is embarrassing - one neighbour actually thought it was my new replacement car from Renault... Heavens NO!!!!

Cheers
Fee

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:39 pm

feefee,

Before taking a hit, please tell me how many times the car was in for repairs? Three times with the same problem and they will have to refund it by law. Read the Sales of Goods and Services Act. Your finance company will help.

Speaking of reliability -- mine is more than 5 y.o. and no problems so far. Although it is serviced not to minimum specs, as dealers do, but to the best of what one can get. Never had a problem with electrics apart from broken wire to the clutch pedal and rusted connector in the upper stop-light. These were trivially simple to repair. I, however, inspected the car thoroughly before buying and did not select any unnecessary extras.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

feefee

Postby feefee » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi,

Car was in 3 times for vibration noise (airbox resonator) - fixed at third attempt ( total 3 weeks in garage)
In again for faulty electrics (3 days)
In again for wiring loom ( 1 day)
In again for more faulty electrics and glove box problem (2 days)

Its not going in again - hopefully and will be given back to Renault with a wing mirror whose indicator is full of moisture and a squeaking/rattlingfrom the drivers door

To be fair - they have now fixed all the original faults barring the ones above...

......... My fingers toes and everything else are crossed.....

Fee

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:45 pm

One airbox -- three weeks? An electrical fault -- 3 days plus causing damage to the wiring loom? Replacing the wiring loom while introducing new electrical faults?

One word for it, monkeys. These are not super cars build to order. Why do people agree to pay in advance and collect them without a proper test and inspection?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

feefee

Postby feefee » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:56 pm

ALex

The airbox problems only surfaced when driving from a cold start.... Clearly, the dealer had done a bit of driving about in the car on the day I picked it up - getting diesel etc so therefore the problem was not noticed until the following day as the engine wasn't cold when I started it.. Having had diesel engines before, I am aware that diesels are noisy but this engine from cold took the biscuit!!!! - Vibrated well beyond what was acceptable for at least 20 mins before going away.... Once noise was away -- it wasn't audible at all.. till engine was completely cold again.

The electrical problems too only surfaced after a couple of days... one light failed after another.... not something that I noticed at my initial inspection.. Inspect I did, I sat in the car for an hour as there was a mix up with the paperwork so the dealer left me to it!!!!

- it was inspected prior to signing up - I am not someone just passed my test dying to drive away in any old heap of rubbish!!!! - I paid a lot of money for the car and did what I could to ensure problems were noted.

I do resent the undertone that I accepted a car without checking it as if I was some sort of idiot - rest assured I am not.....

The only idiotic thing I did do was get Renault in the first place.. :banghead

Fee

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:21 pm

To answer the orginal question Yes!

No not me :wink: but my dad has just bought a 1.5dCi 5dr Privilege model today!

Will post some pic's when he finally get's it.
Last edited by IainMW on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Return to “Megane III”