MK3 reliability - how good/bad??

The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

copas
Currently Drives:: Megane coupe MK3

MK3 reliability - how good/bad??

Postby copas » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Hello all,

I am thinking of buying a MK3 megane coupe. I love the shape and can happily live with a few compromises noted on various reviews but its the reliability question thats worrying me. Given some of the owners on this forum may have had the coupe over a year now can anyone comment further on reliability.(I have read the posts so far on this subject).

I have looked into MK3 reliability but found it very hard to get a definate answer there are so many mixed messages as below;

Some of the posts on this site were very negative,
A driver power suvey I read was extremely positive,
Renault does not come high in JD power surveys but these seem to be based on 3year old cars
Renault made a commitment to quality a few years ago but did this have any practical effect?
French cars are widely regarded as poor for reliability - is this a hangover from previous times?

Does anyone have any clues on how to assess a cars reliability or any insider knowledge on how reliable MK3's are. If you just listen to individual anecdotes it gets very difficult to assess the car. For example some people may have been unlucky. Some people may find it inexcusable to have a couple of minor faults on a new car i.e bulbs/loose trim etc. Also people often talk about design issues and confuse them as quality i.e limited rear visibility is a design issue/compromise not a reliability issue. LCD speedo's are a design feature not a fault even if you don't like LCD speedo's.
I realise french cars had a terrible reputation in the past but I was hoping the quality commitment renault made a while back may have put the MK3 up to at least industry averages.

Any help/comments very much appreciated.

Joey2011
Currently Drives:: 60 Plate Renault Megane Coupe I Music Special Edition in Cayenne

Re: MK3 reliability - how good/bad??

Postby Joey2011 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:56 am

Cant really comment on this as I have only had my MK3 for like 2 weeks but if it helps no issues and I absolutely love the design and the interior is much better than the MK2. :)

Bigfish

Postby Bigfish » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:32 pm

I have had my 19DCI now for seven months and it hasnt missed a beat. Went to S. France in the summer and it sat all day at a ton without a hicup. I love it.

After the above post, coming up to her first service now (18K) no problems whatso ever, Wasnt to happy with the MPG at around 43 have since chipped taking her from 130 -around 150 BHP got 57.2 MPG @ 80MPH on the way to Portsmouth yesterday (240811) not worried about the speed as it was quick enough without the chip... Love the car, ahead turner and great to drive.
Last edited by Bigfish on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
//BIGfish//

funkyg
Currently Drives:: Megane III dCi 106

Postby funkyg » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:48 pm

I've only had my Mk3 since November (hatchback rather than coupe), but no problems so far.
The car itself is just over a year old, so if anything was going to happen to it I would hope it would have done it by now.
At least I still have 2 years Renault warranty on it just in case!

Return to “Megane III”