tyres for cabrio

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

tyres for cabrio

Postby petepete » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:49 pm

Decided i would have to change fronts immediately after a slight slip in a car park where a woman shot out of a parking space without seeing me :hm

So, i used the tyres ratings (as we are suposed to) to select and was looking for c on fuel - c on wet grip and a quiet 71 db as a cabrio will never be a sports car nor ever should be driven like one !

(of course the "expert grease monkey" who fitted them said not to take any notice of the ratings as it was all tosh :grin .... but should i trust his judgement ! )

£41 vat included :conf and some twice 3 times the price tyres had poorer ratings.

I have driven back 20 miles on them and they are quiet although not bedded in yet and in the dry they are plenty good enough for the twisty hilly region i live in up top of the peak district having had a play with them...

All i need now is some rain to confirm my initial impressions and hope the c wet weather rating is all it should be.

welcome to the .... (scroll down page1 to see manufacturers info)

https://www.monro.com/datasheets/Autogrip-P308.pdf

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: tyres for cabrio

Postby Stranger » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:58 pm

The ratings are there for a reason and I've found them to be quite applicable so as to the grease monkey, no, I wouldn't trust his judgement.

Those tyres look good from the data sheet and, from your initial impressions sound to be good too, I look forward to your report on their wet grip and handling :tu

Last year I got a full set of Hankook tyres for my wife's car and they are superb and it's not long ago that, had you spoken the name Hankook, people would have said who?
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:21 pm

Stranger wrote:The ratings are there for a reason and I've found them to be quite applicable so as to the grease monkey, no, I wouldn't trust his judgement.

Those tyres look good from the data sheet and, from your initial impressions sound to be good too, I look forward to your report on their wet grip and handling :tu

Last year I got a full set of Hankook tyres for my wife's car and they are superb and it's not long ago that, had you spoken the name Hankook, people would have said who?

Hankook ..

twice the price, exact same rating if you can stand 1 extra decibel :wink: ..

https://screencast.com/t/O3dmqwKBo

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane cc

Postby Meganeccdarren » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:13 pm

There are a few reviews on the web, seem ok in the dry, not so good if it's wet....

Autogrip Tyres AVOID
My car came with a brand new pair of front boots when I bought it. Brilliant I thought............

If anyone is considering buying these budget brand tyres there are 2 things to bear in mind, they're alright ish in the dry but are awful in the slightest of wet conditions. Imagine driving on ice!

Gonna bite the bullet and get a pair of Dunlop SportMaxx to match the rear as I can't put up with them much longer.

I may be able to sell the Autogrips as they only have 1500 miles on them and haven't worn down at all. But I don't know if my conscience will let me!

Dry Grip
61%

Wet Grip
31%

Road Feedback
47%

Progressiveness
40%

Wear
58%

Comfort
51%

Buy again
31%

Absolutely deadly.
These were on the front of my Honda Civic Type R when I bought it.
The weather was good when I bought my car, so I didn't realise quite how lethal the tyres were until I pulled out of a T-junction in the wet... I was literally spinning the wheels in every gear up to 4th before it eventually got traction - and this was not a one-off.
In dry conditions, they are OK-ish, and as some else said, they are acceptable when warmed up, but I genuinely don't think this tyre should be sold in any country where it rains!!
DO NOT BUY THIS TYRE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy187
awful in the slightest of wet conditions. Imagine driving on ice!
+1 had them on my previous car. Absolutely terrible in the rain

Stranger
Site Admin

Postby Stranger » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Meganeccdarren wrote:There are a few reviews on the web, seem ok in the dry, not so good if it's wet....

Autogrip Tyres AVOID
My car came with a brand new pair of front boots when I bought it. Brilliant I thought............

If anyone is considering buying these budget brand tyres there are 2 things to bear in mind, they're alright ish in the dry but are awful in the slightest of wet conditions. Imagine driving on ice!

Gonna bite the bullet and get a pair of Dunlop SportMaxx to match the rear as I can't put up with them much longer.

I may be able to sell the Autogrips as they only have 1500 miles on them and haven't worn down at all. But I don't know if my conscience will let me!

Spot on, never scrimp on tyres or brakes!

I have some Avon ZZ3's on the front of mine having used Avon's for years, even doing some hillclimbs and sprints using Avon rubber and, having a set of Avon winter tyres which are brilliant I thought these would be OK and, despite mixed reviews I thought I'd give them a chance ........... wish I hadn't, I know how they are and can now compensate / predict but there's always the chance that I'll be caught unawares so they'll be geting changed when I swap to my winters.

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus

Postby Meganeccdarren » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:42 pm

These were Chinese tyres I took of my camper... I will let you all make up your own minds!

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Hankook tyres for me , got them on the CC the wifes 206CC and the motorhome :D
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus

Postby Meganeccdarren » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:35 pm

freelanderuk wrote:Hankook tyres for me , got them on the CC the wifes 206CC and the motorhome :D

I was told by a mate the Hankook were good also Freelander

Stranger
Site Admin

Postby Stranger » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Aye, they're great on the wifes Ka and they're what I had on my last Subaru so there'll be a set going on the vRS if I still have it when reverting to Summer tyres next year.

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:17 am

Meganeccdarren wrote:There are a few reviews on the web, seem ok in the dry, not so good if it's wet....

Autogrip Tyres AVOID

Dry Grip
61%

Wet Grip
31%

Road Feedback
47%

Progressiveness
40%

Wear
58%

Comfort
51%

Buy again
31%

Absolutely deadly.
These were on the front of my Honda Civic Type R when I bought it.
The weather was good when I bought my car, so I didn't realise quite how lethal the tyres were until I pulled out of a T-junction in the wet... I was literally spinning the wheels in every gear up to 4th before it eventually got traction - and this was not a one-off.
In dry conditions, they are OK-ish, and as some else said, they are acceptable when warmed up, but I genuinely don't think this tyre should be sold in any country where it rains!!
DO NOT BUY THIS TYRE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy187
awful in the slightest of wet conditions. Imagine driving on ice!
+1 had them on my previous car. Absolutely terrible in the rain

Those are reviews of an older style autogrip all of which i had seen...

couldnt find reviews on the newer p308 so i am trying them as the tyre rating should say it all.

The megane cc is one of those cars that makes people drive sedately and i find myself wafting around seldom using 3000rpm hence my choice of tyre.. and i well remember fitting top class grippy rubber to a lotus which kind of spoiled the fun as it gripped so well it never warned you when it was going to let go and ruled a controlled drift out i previously enjoyed so much!

As for hancook, i had them on a mk1 mr2 and they were great and a final recomendation for them is knowing they are used by drivers of the 720hp zero to 60 in 2.5 second british world record holding car.

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:06 pm

Some more information..

https://screencast.com/t/LYdgHRMsr71r

The autogrip p308 is rated ..

treadwear 400

traction A

Temp A

Also "extra load" and 168 mph

still waiting for wet roads !!!

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:35 pm

in the middle of a flash storm with the roads turned to rivers so nipped out to test the tyres...

i had to give it full beans and managed to get the tyres to spin in first and a slight slip as i changed from first to second...

Tried a few fast corners and the grip was fine...

I did a 50 t0 0 zero hard test of the brakes and managed to trip the abs but the stop was suprisingly fast and easily controlable...

All i can say is these tyres perform well at the extreams which is even more impressive considdering the weight of the cc - driven normally for the terrible road conditions i took the car out in they are way well

within anyones safety limit.

I predict at some point on all car forums people are going to cotton on that the autogrip 308 is a good tyre and performs as it is euro rated and is a bit of a bargain at £41

Stranger
Site Admin

Postby Stranger » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:25 am

Cheers for that :-)

mitachu
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megan CC Dynamique

Postby mitachu » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Interesting. I have Firestone on the rear of my CC and the grip is terrible in most conditions. A bit scary sometimes!!

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:17 am

update..

I have now used these tyres a month on all types of road and probably the best test a run through country lanes in a very wet foggy 6 degree cold night and my opinion has changed...

They are better than my good initial thoughts and perform way in excess of anything you will ever need on a megane cc and its some what disturbing to see people be so negative about a tyre they have never even seen

let alone driven on !!!

Return to “Megane CC”