space saver wheels

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dgk1947
Currently Drives:: Megane Dynamique DCi 120 Convertible

space saver wheels

Postby dgk1947 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:49 pm

Has anyone got any suggestions about getting a space saver wheel (which, apparently, Renault do not offer) for my Megane Convertible? I did buy an additional alloy wheel but it takes up far too much space in the boot. I do a lot of driving in Europe and it's a toss-up between reduced boot space if I take the full size alloy or crossing my fingers and hoping the two aerosols of tyre gunk aren't tool old to work or I don't get a puncture in a side wall. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

dgk1947

MatSa
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2008 Megane cc

Re: space saver wheels

Postby MatSa » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:19 am

Keep with the full size spare as you never know when you are going to need it. Used the tyre gunk in the clios tyre and it worked but only for a little bit the tyre still went flat, so gave me enough time to get it repaired at a tyre shop

smilergrogan

Postby smilergrogan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:48 am

The Megane CC is only the second car I've ever owned without a spare wheel in the boot. I always thought the idea of a 'space-saver' ill-thought out, though. Reduced space for the wheel? Fine, then, when you actually need to use it, what are you supposed to do with the full sized one, which has just been removed from the car and doesn't fit in the wheel well? If you always pack light, so that you leave enough space for a full sized wheel to fit in the boot, then why bother with a space saver in there?

Manufacturers can save a lot of money - and weight - by supplying an aerosol instead of a wheel and tyre but they were originally designed for use with bicycles, which have an innertube and tyre. The formula of the sealant made a proper repair later difficult but that wasn't a problem with a bike, as the innertube could simply be replaced very cheaply. However, there are now water-based sealants available and these can be used as a temporary repair but can be washed out later with water, prior to a full repair. That sounds like the best compromise to me, although, since I travel abroad a lot, I always subscribe to a 'deluxe' breakdown recovery service, which includes recovery anywhere within the EU. I would therefore have the option of recovering the car to the nearest tyre repair centre, for a full repair or replacement.

smilergrogan

Postby smilergrogan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:42 pm

I have gone for the water-based Slime Sealant Kit, which includes a valve remover and a compressor.

Return to “Megane CC”