Lost in the countryside

Share details of a trip that you've been on in your Megane II.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Boomstyliemikey
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.9 130 , remapped, DPF removed, Panel filter, double din

Lost in the countryside

Postby Boomstyliemikey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Got lost in the countryside this weekend. Obviously went down a road that was only meant for tractors (never trust a tom tom)

1.9 dci dynamique, originally 130bhp. Remapped, DPF removed, Pipercross panel filter.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17209

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Lost in the countryside

Postby davelowe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:32 pm

Numpty! Expect your exhaust heat shield to rattle like mad now.... 8-)
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:30 am

Not just Tom Tom, I had a VDO Dayton that tried that as well but I stopped when the tarmac did, my wife also went to an area meeting many years ago using a Road Angel sat nav that tried to send them over a Golf Course to the venue.
don't think groundsmen would have been to impressed!
Not a fan of them myself, useful sometimes but not always, and does not always pick the best route, can't beat an atlas, plus I found myself becoming reliant on it and you stop looking at road signs and concetrate on this little box on the dash instead. Good for getting you out of towns and cities, and back home when lost but that is about it, I did use my old VDO in Sicily last year and it worked fairly well, so can be useful. after all it is only a navigation aid.
My Meg has onboard Sat Nav the red arrow thing which is quite useful but does not do postcodes just road names so you need multi map first to find a near road name, its distance is fairly accurate and does not often send you wrong. would be nice if it gave you an arrival time and total distance, which most sat navs do I find that the best bit of info from them really, mine just tells of distance to next change of direction.
used properly they are ok, nothing better than the human brain though! :mrgreen:

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:24 pm

who's that in the car?

also, in tom tom (at least on my iphone version) there's an option to avoid "unpaved roads" - it's in settings > route planning

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:24 am

We once tried POI's = monuments in the VDO, it took us to a field with a few rocks in it and nothing else :eek
I am guessing these few scatered rocks where classed as some kind on monument to someone, that was in the days when fuel was affordable and you could go and explore just for the fun of it!

Dan__UK_1984
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2002 1.5DCi 3Dr

Postby Dan__UK_1984 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:09 pm

Never been able to fathom how people manage to get their sat navs so wrong. I do a considerable amont of mileage following them and have never ended up down a lane like that - Mores the pitty; in the Range Rover it would have been fun!

Boomstyliemikey
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.9 130 , remapped, DPF removed, Panel filter, double din

Postby Boomstyliemikey » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Dan__UK_1984 wrote:Never been able to fathom how people manage to get their sat navs so wrong. I do a considerable amont of mileage following them and have never ended up down a lane like that - Mores the pitty; in the Range Rover it would have been fun!

You would be surprised like. I've been delivering pizzas for the past 3 weeks to help with costs of uni. Been using a cheap Japanese one and a tom tom and you would be surprised how wrong they actually get it! They are both Sh*t
1.9 dci dynamique, originally 130bhp. Remapped, DPF removed, Pipercross panel filter.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17209

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:35 pm

I use the latest in 'paper based' technology.

:cool:
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

Return to “Megane II Adventures”