Clunking noise when steering is moved from left to right

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Megane 2.0i Sedan
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 2.0i Sedan
Antique Green

Clunking noise when steering is moved from left to right

Postby Megane 2.0i Sedan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me.. I have a Renault Megane 2.0i Sedan make II. If i turn the steering from left to right, there is a clunking noise, on the centrepoint though. Somebody has told me it could be my "shock towers"? If anybody has suggestions it would be appreciated. The car's handling is also affected, it wobbles alot, especially over speedhumps then you can hear that noise, it is more audible aswell.

Thanks

Jean

cactusbob
Advanced Driver

Postby cactusbob » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:44 pm

How many miles have you covered? If it is quite low it could well be the steering column pinch bolts. If it is higher then it can be any number of suspension components. May be the suspension top bearing or even a broken spring. With the car stationery and turned on get someone to move the steering from side to side whilst you watch the springs through the wheel arch. If the springs don't move smoothly and they jerk about it is most likely the top bearing. Don't know how much they are is SA but they are about £65 each in the UK
225 5dr FF + Xenons
http://www.meganesport.net

Megane 2.0i Sedan
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 2.0i Sedan
Antique Green

Postby Megane 2.0i Sedan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:32 am

Hi
Thanks a million. I will try it. Renault spares is quite expensive en SA, cause it is directly imported from France.
Thanks again

Jean

Return to “Parts and Accessories”