Roof bars and Roof box

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Chambo211
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 vvt Oasis Black

Roof bars and Roof box

Postby Chambo211 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi all. Long time no type!
Had alot going off since last time I was on and havn't had chance to come on.

Right I'v got a megane 5 door 55 plate and I'm looking for some roof bars and a roof box to fit when we go on all holiday as I'v just had a baby. Well, I havn't had the baby cos' i'm a bloke :oops: My missus has had the baby! :D

Just wondered if anybody knew where I could get some from that will fit, cos some I have looked at said they wont fit if you have a sunroof. No Halfords or eBay answers though please :-)

Thanks in advance guys

P.S - Its good to be back!
Renault Megane, Oasis, Black, 1.6, 16v, vvt, Panoramic Roof

onlydiesels

Re: Roof bars and Roof box

Postby onlydiesels » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:24 pm

Chambo211 wrote:
Right I'v got a megane 5 door 55 plate and I'm looking for some roof bars and a roof box to fit when we go on all holiday as I'v just had a baby. Well, I havn't had the baby cos' i'm a bloke :oops: My missus has had the baby! :D

that`s a bit mean is`nt it ? :shock: would it not be better to put the baby inside the car with you ? :lol:

tallpaul
Pass Plus

Postby tallpaul » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:18 pm

there are a few cars on here with roof bars, some with sunroofs. I can't imagine the sunroof to be an issue, if you keep it closed and don't drop anything!
52 Megane dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr ● 18" Team Dynamics Pro Comp II ● OEM clear lights ● OEM RenaultSport 225 Front Bumper ● Yellow Fogs ● Black Roof

Chambo211
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 vvt Oasis Black

Postby Chambo211 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi guys. Thanks for your replies, especially yours onlydiesels - that made me laugh! :D

I rang my local Renault stealers this morning for prices on the roof bars.
I was quite surprised really - they gave me a price of £110.00 for aluminium roof bars and £80.01 for the normal ones - (Not sure where the penny comes into play!?)

So I was quite pleased with those prices - just need to find a roof box now, not for the missus and kids though! :D
Renault Megane, Oasis, Black, 1.6, 16v, vvt, Panoramic Roof

onlyme
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: PUNTO MK2

Postby onlyme » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:13 pm

wow this is amazing! whats the difference between aluminium and normel ones???

and when you guys talk about a sun roof. do you mean the paneramic roof?

i am soon to buy a megane, hopefully with a pan roof and i have been wondering if it was indeed posible to fit roof bars.

andywills
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.6e 16V VVT

Postby andywills » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Chambo211 wrote:Hi guys. Thanks for your replies, especially yours onlydiesels - that made me laugh! :D

I rang my local Renault stealers this morning for prices on the roof bars.
I was quite surprised really - they gave me a price of £110.00 for aluminium roof bars and £80.01 for the normal ones - (Not sure where the penny comes into play!?)

So I was quite pleased with those prices - just need to find a roof box now, not for the missus and kids though! :D

i dont suppose you know what the part number is? i rang a dealer today after roof bars for megane with panoramic roof and they couldnt find them. this suprised me because they are known in the area for being suprisingly good for a renaut dealer
Renault Megané Dynamique 1.6e 16v VVT 2004

jaspa

Postby jaspa » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Same bars with or without sunroof.

andywills
Advanced Driver

Postby andywills » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:57 pm

for anyone interested, the part numbers are....

77 11 225 009 - aluminium roof bars (£95.65 + VAT)
77 11 225 008 - steel roof bars (£69.57 + VAT)

you will also need

77 11 230 461 - roof bar fastening kit (£2.61 + VAT)

onlyme
Just Passed

Postby onlyme » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:57 pm

hello again guys.

now iv actually got the car iv been looking further into getting some a rack for the roof,

however i have a few questions, having used a roof rack before i know how much damage the feet can do to the cars paint work. is it posible to get roof RAILS for the megane? i notice there appears to be fixing points for trhem in the meg roof. but i can not for the life of me find anything to do with the rails on the net. ebay has actually let me down for once lol.. reason for me asking is if this were posible it would mean the roof rack would be away from the paint work at all times holding onto the roof rails instead.
incase your confused
roof RAILS are what you usualy see on estate cars, they run from front to back and most of the time they come as standard. these are then used as conection points for BARS witch go from one side to another, and these scondary bars are what you attach your, box, bike, ski's, Mrs :) to lol

anyone know were i can pick the rails up from? so i can then buy the bars to fit? cheers

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:51 am

I'm not speaking from experience but surely the 'feet' of any roof bars or rack slot into the fixing points therefore keeping it away from the paintwork. Years back on a Calibra the two points on each side would push down and slide revealing fixing points for the available roof rack. That was in 1990 when many other cars just had a rain gutter to fix bars to. These days most cars seem to have some similar arrangement. The Megane appears to have something similar albeit it looks like you have to take out the four covers to reveal the fixing points. Presumably any possible contact only occurs with the two black strips that run the length of the roof which is why they are there. I cannot imagine, if you are buying original Renault bars or racks, that fouling on paintwork would be an issue.

EDIT: I just noticed in another thread that someone has helpfully provided a photograph of what I'm talking about. Click here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5680

Or here are the steel Renault bars on a dealer website: https://www.therenaultshop.co.uk/product ... 7711225008

andywills
Advanced Driver

Postby andywills » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:28 pm

i've just got the renault roof bars. had a quick go and they fit fine and the panoramic sunroof can open. i will take some photos tomorrow if anyone requires? i can also pdf the instructions but i wont be able to do that until monday.

you dont need to take out the flaps on the roof, they are hinged and lift up and are covered by the roof bars when they are on. Also the feet slot into the flaps and have a plastic spacer between the roof rack and the fixing point so you wont get any damage.

inside the flap is what looks like a screw but it's just a plastic plug. you dont need to get the fixing kit because it's included with the bars (or get it and keep them as spares but all it is, is 4 allan screws and an allen key).

onlyme
Just Passed

Postby onlyme » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:59 am

juat got the £80 set off the renault shop site... hope there as good as the above set!

thanks for all the advice guys

meganmegane

Postby meganmegane » Wed May 12, 2010 12:27 pm

I tried to remove those little plastic caps under the trim to reveal the hole but they have all just sheared off leaving the plastic bit in the hole!

Whats best to screw into them and force the left over bit of plastic cap down or drill it out?

andywills
Advanced Driver

Postby andywills » Thu May 13, 2010 2:13 pm

you need a 6mm tap. don't try using a drill as you run the risk of damaging the thread and then you'll never get it on.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/Engineering+Tools/Tap+and+Die+Set+10+Piece/d10/sd190/p10128 is an example.

you will be better off trying to find someone that has one of these as the chances of needing it again are nill...

meganmegane

Postby meganmegane » Mon May 17, 2010 6:02 am

Quick Update

The simple solution is to buy the roof trim bolts from Renault and using a 10mm socket remove the old ones and pop in the new ones

New ones cost £2.50 each and come with sealant already on them took 5 mins to solve the problem, no drilling out

I have a spare set if anyone needs them, just popped them on ebay - search 'renault megane II roof trim bolt'

Return to “Parts and Accessories”