Anyone breaking a high spec Mégane?

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane 2.0 VVT Dynamique Sport Hatch

Anyone breaking a high spec Mégane?

Postby MéganeDynamique » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:06 pm

I am looking to add a few more original options to my Mégane. I only ever modify cars with original parts!
The main thing I want is the original xenon headlights. They were a £500 option when ordering a Mégane and are quite rare, but look awesome. There's obviously quite a bit of work involved, including a new bumper (for the washers). Does anyone know if any changes to the cars electrical system are needed?
I'd also love to add the Carminat turn by turn sat nav.
And I've got Full Black Leather... But heated seats weren't added!
The original Boot spoiler looks very good too, but again quite hard to track down.

Any advice on how to track parts down let me know please!

Thanks guys!
Ottoman Blue 2.0 VVT Privilège 5 Door - Full beige leather, ESP, Xenon headlights, Carminat Navigation, Cruise etc.
Ink Blue 2.0 VVT Dynamique 3 Door... Black Leather, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, tyre pressure sensors, Hands Free etc.

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Re: Anyone breaking a high spec Mégane?

Postby Paddy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:00 pm

The items you are looking for will be like rocking horse sh1t to find. Iv tried.

You wont need a new bumper... Just drill two holes buy washer jets and take a feed from the wipers with a T connector. £5 job as to over £150 for new bumper + paint.

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver

Postby MéganeDynamique » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:34 am

OK that sounds a better way of doing things.
I've found xenon headlight units on ebay but do you know if the connections are the same as for the halogens?
I took the bumber off and the connections for the washer jets from the washer bottle are there!
Ottoman Blue 2.0 VVT Privilège 5 Door - Full beige leather, ESP, Xenon headlights, Carminat Navigation, Cruise etc.
Ink Blue 2.0 VVT Dynamique 3 Door... Black Leather, heated seats, panoramic sunroof, tyre pressure sensors, Hands Free etc.

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:56 pm

MéganeDynamique wrote:OK that sounds a better way of doing things.
I've found xenon headlight units on ebay but do you know if the connections are the same as for the halogens?
I took the bumber off and the connections for the washer jets from the washer bottle are there!

In short no, I had all sorts of slicing and splicing of cables when i fitted my HIDS,

You will have to be able to read a wiring digram or have a decent idea about electronics to track the cables.

P

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver

Postby MéganeDynamique » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:42 pm

I didn't think so!
My dad's an electrician and I've got the Haynes manual with the wiring diagrams so we'll give it a go.
Did you put the washers on yours?

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:11 pm

I cannot think why you'd want the Carminat Turn by Turn Sat Nav. It is hopelessly slow to program and to respond and the instructions are illogical, often late and bordering on dangerous ("Take the third exit on the left at the roundabout" actually means take the third exit at the roundabout. This can be left, straight-on or right as the word "left" in the instruction refers to the exit manoeuvre which is, of course, always left for us.) Nor do I imagine that there is a CD-ROM that is anywhere near up to date and, unless you also have the in-dash CD changer, you won't be able to play a CD while navigation is in progress.

If it's just about having the top spec and you are determined to get one, remember you'll need to get the security code with it. I also believe that the CD changer adopts the head unit's security code so there may be issues if you already have one or get the two units from different sources.

MéganeDynamique
Advanced Driver

Postby MéganeDynamique » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Ha ha you make the sat nav sound awful... Which I can believe. I have a tomtom but it would just be the convenience of having it built into the car with no wires to connect and mounts to take off and hide when you get out (and about having a higher spec). I do have the CD Changer so you're saying that it will adopt the Carminat's code?

I've found a Carminat unit for sale on eBay, im just waiting for the seller to email me a pic of the back of it (to compare connections) as I'm slightly wary of where the unit gets it's GPS signal from.
In the mean time, any idea how to get the regular CD Player out without the official tool?

Thanks for this info guys it's really helping

Toodeep
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 5 Door Privilege 1.6

Postby Toodeep » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:49 am

I'm saying the current code will be that of your current head unit. What happens when you connect it to a different head unit is anyone's guess. I believe that when new and uncoded, the CD changer adopts the code of the first head unit it sees. So it might retain its present code, if you know it, while your Carminat will have one of its own. Someone here should be able to tell you for sure but it wouldn't be much of a security measure if it just adopted the code of any head unit it is attached to. Nothing would surprise me, however.

Have you thought about the displays being different? I have a document which shows slight differences in the way the 30-pin display connector is configured and appears to show the physical appearance of the displays to be different. If you PM me your email address I can send you the document and a picture of my display for comparison. This document does show that one of the connections for the Carminat unit to be for a GPS antenna. From what I can tell, this is incorporated into the roof aerial so, presumably, there are SatNav and non-SatNav roof aerials the swapping of which will involve dropping the headlining etc.

The Carminat you are after on eBay presumably will come with the CD-ROM but this is likely to feature pre-2004 mapping so how much use will it be? Admittedly I live in London where roads seem to change overnight and this might be less of a problem outside the cities. A newer CD-ROM, if such a thing has been produced, is unlikely to leave you with change from £100.

If you are still determined to attempt this for such a small benefit after all my best efforts to put you off I want to meet you and shake your hand but only because craziness is not contagious.

Alan

rjacko
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.9 dci Dynamique, 3dr 03 reg

Postby rjacko » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:48 am

found this, may help with your seats. probably other places that will fit them to your original seats, just gives you an idea what can be done.

https://www.carfi.co.uk/html/heated_seats.html
3dr 03 Megane 1.9Dci, Dynamique, panoramic roof, keyless system, full leather, 6 cd changer, 17" Nervasport alloys

Return to “Parts and Accessories”