Goodyear or Michelin

Info on parts and accessories for the Mégane II, what to use and where to buy them.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

What tyres to buy?

Goodyear Optigrip
33%
Michelin Primacy HP
67%

Total votes: 6

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Goodyear or Michelin

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:08 pm

I need 4 tyres.
It's come down to Goodyear OptiGrip or Michelin Primacy HP.
Goodyears are better in Wet, Michelin's better in Dry. I'm in Manchester if anyone has local climate knowledge to aid their assistance.
I've had the primacy HP's before and they're good but i don't recall them lasting very long.

W-rated Primacy's are: £82.23 each fitted
V-rated Goodyears are: £76.92 each fitted

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Goodyear or Michelin

Postby AlexB » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:44 pm

I chose Conti Premium Contact 2 recently. They are the best non-sports tyres for towns. Michelins only make sense for long distances and minimum braking.*)

Cheaper Nokian H, V, Z or Vredestein SPORTRAC 3 can save you a few quid, and are almost as good as Conti, but degrade faster with wear. Nokian H feel soft, the others are more "sporty", Vredestein are noisier.

Goodyear OptiGrip is designed to maintain the same wet grip while wearing. As a result, their wear accelerates when they are at 4mm. In dry they don't feel good.

*) added later: Michelin HP, unfortunately, do not make such a sense. Their UTQG is 240 whilst the same of Conti PC2 is 280 (I just looked at them at Costco). These values are imprecise, so they are about the same. It's only Michelin Energy Saver that has UTQG 400. For those who don't understand -- get Conti PC2 or SC3, unless you are after a very small saving on fuel, in which case get Michelin ES and drive carefully.
Last edited by AlexB on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

whitbyview

Postby whitbyview » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:08 pm

Interesting choice of tyres? Can I ask how you ended up at these two? I recently bought four new tyres and based my choice on the magazine tyre tests (mainly German!) found on tyrereviews website. Based on this, I had the choice of sticking with the factory fitted Conti PC2s or trying the Bridgestone ER300s.

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Conti ... tact-2.htm
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridg ... -ER300.htm

As both seem to have done exceptionally well in the tests (often on the 205/55s I have), I picked on the basis of price - the latter were on special at my local garage for just £76 fully fitted. Both tyres have excellent grip in wet and dry. I would say the Contis give better fuel economy but also wore reasonably fast based on my style of driving. Can't say anything about the wear with the ER300s as yet.

If you haven't seen the tyrereviews website before, worth a look - the two tyres you are considering are both listed if you want to see other people's comments and the magazine test results. As for which, sorry, never tried either so my vote would be uninformed. Hope this helps anyway! :-)

whitbyview

Postby whitbyview » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Here's an interesting example of a test that contains your two tyres and the two I mention:

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... st-FWD.htm

As tyres have to brake in the wet and dry, I'm still happy with my ER300s as the compromise tyre if you believe their findings ...

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:06 pm

I do like the PC2's but it was a cost factor. I may just go for conti's and stump the extra £.
i came to the choice from reviews and ADAC ratings

i admit i've always left out bridge/fire stones as i'm not keen on them but reviews do say they're good.

heres an adac test https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/re ... geId=31821

whitbyview

Postby whitbyview » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:20 pm

Totally understand about the cost. I think you can get PC2s at under £90 fully fitted if you shop around (eg. KwikFit have them for about £87 right now if you order online). You might be lucky like I was and just find someone with a special offer on them, which could perhaps get them down to £80. These tyres were fitted from new and they did perform very well I have to say. I think it all depends on how you drive and the sorts of miles you do which tyres actually cost you the least over time. As I said, the fuel economy on the PC2s was good for me for instance, so over 20k miles or whatever, that could be worth a massive saving. If you do a lot of motorway miles, those Michelins could be a real bargain for instance. They probably last a long time but don't stop as quickly ... swings and roundabouts really! Good luck anyway! :-)

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:59 pm

went back to my garage and they said they'd do the PC2's for £77.55 each. They said they'd contact their other suppliers and it could be cheaper so I'll know on saturday when I get the fitted.

whitbyview

Postby whitbyview » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Well, decision made then! If you can get PC2s for that price, there really is no decision in my mind! :-)

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:07 pm

Correction, my message above is edited by adding the following:

Michelin HP, unfortunately, do not make such a sense. Their UTQG is 240 whilst the same of Conti PC2 is 280 (I just looked at HP at Costco). These values are imprecise, so they are about the same. It's only Michelin Energy Saver that has UTQG 400. For those who don't understand -- get Conti PC2 or SC3, unless you are after a very small saving on fuel, in which case get Michelin ES and drive carefully.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:46 am

Conti PC2, £301.04 for 4. so £75.26 each fitted.

mmbassil

Postby mmbassil » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:09 pm

you can use mixes or maxes idont know spelling if you want the smooth one

wynney1978
Currently Drives:: 2004 Renault Megane Saloon 1.5dci (80)
2000 Nissan Primera Sport 2.0 (140)

Postby wynney1978 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:54 am

If your after Michelin just keep checking Costco for their "buy 4 and receive 20% off" offer. I actually work in Costco tyrebay (Chester) and the offers usually do very well.
The main size for megane 2's is 205/55 R 16 91 H/V/W these are in the Energy Saver (private hire driver/ round streets), Primacy HP (Business user/up n down motorways all day), Pilot Sport 3 (Excellent dry grip, very good wet grip improved over the PS2).
They're all round the £85 mark (at time of writing!!) and if you work it out (after the discount) this comes to £272-ish for the 4 and only £68-ish each and you're not beating that anywhere.
I know I work there but am only trying to help because not many people know about the offers on the Michelin at Costco. :cool:

P.S. you don't have to get the tyres fitted when you buy them. You can just take them away and have them fitted whenever you need them doing or at another Costco warehouse, i.e. get 2 done on the day and get the other 2 done 6/12 months later! Lots of the Taxi drivers do this because they know they're gona need them at some point.

Costco Chester 01244 852 083 if ya need any help.
Whether I work there or not, a deal is a deal!
Hope this helps save some pennies :D

Return to “Parts and Accessories”