User beware of Renault Birmingham Re steering lock on fault

Name and shame the good and bad dealers so people know where to use and where to avoid

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

brother1

User beware of Renault Birmingham Re steering lock on fault

Postby brother1 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:31 pm

My 03 Renault Megane is showing the fault steering lock on and will not start. The dealer have looked at the fault and are quoting a total repair bill of £1800. They believe the whole steering column will need replacing as well as the steering locking switch. I believe the dealer is intent on ripping me off big time. I am quickly lacking confidence in their ability to appropriately solve this problem.

Two months prior I spent approximately £700 repairing a flowery technical term thing their computer suggested was the fault, which entailed the replacement of parts including the changing of the cam belt only to find the same problem still existed. The fault was then put down to a faulty switch.

Four days later after having no vehicle i again complaint to the dealer this time to someone with more authority. I was informed that they could not remove a bolt and this is the reason for having to replace the whole steering column.

To find out why a dealer would have so much difficulties removing a bolt i took an independant technician with me to assess the problem. The technicians evaluation was that the dealer had attempted to remove the Locking Switch in the locked position leading to the thread being worn possibly on both the steering column and the actual bolt, hence new steering column required.

Renault Birmingham was aware of their engineer's mess up and tried to pass this on to me there customer at great expense.

Currently they still have to vehicle and a very :evil: angry customer to deal with.

Those of you with vehicles outside its warrenty beware. If unsure get an independant engineer involved and ask to see what the problems are before handing over large sums of money to cover up their incompetence or to help them meet targets.

brother1

Renault megane 2 steering lock fault

Postby brother1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:22 am

Thanks IainMW your advice and suggestion was very helpful .

I have again had to contact the dealer regarding my once beloved Megane 2 and was told that the problem was down to a loose nut on this particular part. I find this hard to believe in light of viewing the new part and how it connects to the column. What somehow would normally result in the removal of a costly steering column is now just a simple loose nut

I am unsure but my suspicion is that it is likely the dealer has bodged the repair by simply tapping the hole on the steering column rather than replacing the column, which previously they were suggesting would be standard practice when one attempts to remove the electrical steering locking bolt in the locked position.

Again I have asked for the parts to be left for our inspection. After eight days without a vehicle, for no just reasons, my patience is running on empty
Last edited by brother1 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

brother1

Postby brother1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:02 pm

More flowery technical stuff received this morning from the dealer about the fault being the result of a loose nut. The parts were shown to us. The bolt had no wear on it what so ever. It would be interesting to know whether anyone has any knowledge of this area of fault, and whether it is possible that it is held together by a nut rather than threading straight into the steering column :?:

This thing is bugging me so much to the extent whereby I have been to the library to check in the Haynes manual to see how this particular fault would occur :cry: .

The manual states that the steering column lock can only be removed when it is in its unlocked state, meaning that the keycard would have to be in its slot. It then goes to mention that the bolt has a left-handed thread i.e, it unscrews clockwise (take note some Renault Dealers :idea: ). Information for those of us who happen to be just outside our warranty but still expects a good level of honest decent service.

brother1

Postby brother1 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:38 am

Thanks cactusbob, I am not sure how shear head bolts work. Is it designed to always shear on removal? Or does it simply function like any other bolt? Is it a bolt were particular care is required? The Haynes manual also states that the bolt may be of the shear type. Jonburton’s reply to a similar fault would suggest the dealer was able to exchange the electrical steering locking without again replacing the column.

I am on my eighth day without my Megane 1600 VVT with sports spoiler and heated seat.

The dealer has informed me that they are experiencing difficulties getting the vehicle started and have got it hooked up to their diagnostic computer(£84 standard charge before looking at your vehicle). The dealer state that the car will not start, the outside temperature reading is stating that it is over 2000 degrees, yet the computer is telling the mechanics everything is fine and dandy (lovely weather outside). I have been told there is now good news and my vehicle is ready for collection along with the invoice. Now this were the fun begins.

brother1

Postby brother1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:26 am

Had to have a serious rant and rave with RCS yesterday and refused to speak to the service manager at the “stealers”. The service manager was completely unprofessional and neither rational, logical nor sensible. He was more than aware of my grievance yet was unable to defuse the situation by simply demonstrating how my theory was incorrect. He instead attempted to blind me with science and argue. I think there are training issues there that need to be addressed.

Anyway I have my vehicle back after negotiating a settlement with another manager who was far better at customer relations than the service manager. Morally I feel I should take this further to protect other consumers from paying out for unnecessary parts and labour. I think I will sell the car and get a German or Japanese vehicle so I may not grace this area again. Thanks all who listened to my moans and groans.

PS. If anyone has any thing that can help me in my crusade to protect the Megane 2 users particularly around this locking issue please post away.

Thanks brahanII I think the German recall needs to be pursued further where did you receive this information?

simb06

Postby simb06 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:27 pm

Hi there, i had a car with this exact fault for some unknown reason the steering lock decides to fault!

there are no "nuts" in the steering lock it is solenoid operate and held in by a left hand threaded t30 bolt.

if u remove the lower dash section underneath the steering wheel (various t20's) you will be able to see the steering lock!

If you replace the steering lock i am pretty certain the fault will be cured!
Renault Parts Contact me!

Return to “Dealers”