Evans HellSure Leeds - Update

Name and shame the good and bad dealers so people know where to use and where to avoid

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

john10001
Pass Plus

Evans HellSure Leeds - Update

Postby john10001 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:57 pm

You wont believe this! :cry

This is an update/brief summary regarding my Evans HellSure Leeds Experience. This is the drastically shortened version and doesn’t go into all the details about all the times I have tried to contact them, have been hung up on, put on permanent hold etc. It doesn’t detail every single thing they have done wrong, just the main points.

Sunday 27 January

My Megane was taken to Evans Halshaw Leeds to be serviced as a home recovery.

Wednesday 30th January

I have to call them as nobody has called me to let me know what is happening. They said the battery would need replacing and that would be £165. This is an extortionate amount of money for a car battery that is only 48 Amps and would only cost £50 or less from Halfords. I agree under protest just so they can see what else is wrong with the car and fix it.

Thursday 31st January

They have discovered that my car needs a new Camshaft Sensor, brake pads and brake discs, which I give the okay to fixing.

Wednesday 6 February

Nobody at Evans HellSure has bothered to call me again to give me an update so I call them. They said they have fixed the faults so I asked about getting an MOT but they said that there is a long waiting list and they wouldn’t be able to book it in for 9 days, which would have been Friday 15th a week later. So I just asked them to fix my new number plates to the car for me.

Thursday 7 February

After a number of unsuccessful attempts to get through to someone I manage to get through. The salesman Ivan said it is all done and ready to collect.

I then went up after work and walked the one and a half miles from where I work in Leeds up to the Evans Halshaw Garage on Rosehip Road to the North of the city. I got there at about 5.15pm on Thursday evening. I spoke with the bloke and told him that I’ve come to collect my car. So he gets the paperwork out and the bills for me to pay and I pay the £611.09 they are charging for battery, rear brake pads and discs and camshaft sensor. Then the bloke goes to look for my keycard. 15 minutes later at 5.30pm I am still waiting for him and he eventually comes back and tells me he is just going outside to find my car.

Another ten minutes of waiting and he eventually comes back and goes in the back office area again looking for my keycard. Five minutes later he comes back out and tells me he thinks that the young lad who had been working on my car has taken the keycard home with him!!!

So I have paid a £611.09 service bill for my car that they had told me was “READY” to collect and drive away but clearly wasn’t and I still don’t have the car back plus the fact I was kept waiting half an hour to be told this. He said he would telephone me first thing the next morning. So by this time it was 5.45pm and I had to walk all the way back into Leeds and down to the train station and catch the train home to Huddersfield so I didn’t get home till quite late that night.

Friday 8 February

I received no call from them and just before half eleven with most of the morning gone so I had to call them. Whatever happened to that call first thing??? Ivan stated that they had lost my keycard and had to order a new one from Renault, which would take another week to arrive!!!

Week Beginning 11 February

The next week Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday go by and I hear absolutely nothing from Evans Halshaw.

Friday 15 February 11:20am app

I finally get through to their service department after trying all morning someone actually picked up the phone! I asked about my car and if they had got the replacement keycard yet that they had lost! He went to find out. Came back to the phone a minute later and said they don’t have it yet but they’d give me a call as soon as they do. Yeah right! I asked how long it is likely to take and the guy said it usually takes 10 to 14 days!!! That’s not what I was told the previous week by Ivan - that it would only be one week for the new keycard to come through! So that was clearly a lie. :banghead

Friday 22 February

Another week further on and I have had absolutely nobody whatsoever from Evans Halshaw telephone me. So this is 14 days later and still no replacement keycard! Nobody at HellSure was answering the phones that day and nobody had bothered to call me. Although I was put on permanent hold while a bloke went on a tea break and I had to call off after 10 minutes of waiting as it was costing me a lot of time and money with the phone bill. This is the second time in my dealings with them that I had been put on indefinite hold while the employee it seemed had gone for lunch of a lengthy tea break and I had to hang up after more than 10 minutes of waiting. :banghead

Monday 25th February

AM

I telephoned in the morning and the girl I spoke with was adamant and insistent that it only takes 10 days for replacement keycard to come through and she said that Ivan was going to chase it up with parts and give me a call back later.

If it is was only supposed to take 10 days for the replacement key to come through then it should have arrived 11 days before this date because I had then been waiting 21 days not 10 days.

Late PM

Ivan never bothered to call me back again I had to call him back at about 5.15pm. He told me there has been a slight delay and they have a few replacement keys they are waiting for and mine was one of them and they should get it through in the next few days. :banghead

Okay, so what I haven’t mentioned and what they also didn’t know at the time was that the previous weekend on Saturday 23rd February I had been getting so fed up of this dreadful dealership that I actually contacted Renault UK myself. In my email to them via their website this is what I put:
_ _

"Evans Halshaw in Leeds lost my keycard on the 7th of February. I have paid my bill of £611 for servicing. They said they had ordered a new keycard from you and it would only take one week to arrive. A week later they told me it takes 10 to 14 days. 15 days later I still don't have it back. Its cost me £92 pounds in travel expenses so far."

"Please inform me whether Evans Halshaw have bothered to order replacement keycard from you or not. Try and contact the dealership on my behalf about the complaint as I find it impossible to get through to them and they often put me on permanent hold, hang up on me or blatantly lie to me. I would like my car back ASAP."
_ _

Okay that’s what I sent to them via the web form on their Renault UK site, and this is the response I got back on Monday 25 February at 11.19 AM from Renault UK (note I only saw this email after I contacted Ivan at 5.15pm on Monday as it was sent from my home PC and personal email account, I have quoted relevant parts of the response only)
_ _

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxx
Thank you for your recent email regarding the concerns with Evans Halshaw, Leeds.

I have spoken to Andrew in the Parts Department who confirmed that there was no record of your key card having been ordered to date. I have ordered a key card for you and you should receive a call from Andrew in regards to the type of key card for your vehicle.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced with regards to the delay in this matter. Although I can appreciate that this is not the result you would have liked, should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact myself.
Kind Regards

Patricia Jackson
Renault UK
_ _

Note the important part of this response from Renault UK “no record of your keycard having been ordered to date”. Okay, so its obvious from this response from Renault UK that nobody at Evans Halshaw actually bothered ordering a replacement keycard for me to replace the one you lost whatsoever despite telling me they had.

So I feel like I have been told a pack of lies by them for those 3 plus weeks. Ivan told me right back on Friday 8th February when I contacted him that morning before 11.30AM that he had ordered the replacement from Renault and it would take ONE week to arrive. At this point in time on Monday evening 25 February Evans Hallshaw had my car 21 days longer than they should have because of their incompetence in losing my keycard.

Tuesday 26 February

I telephoned Evans Hallshaw at 14.30 and again at 16.28 asking to speak with the Service Manager to make a complaint. He was “unavailable” both occasions and they tried to fob me off yet again. I obtained his email address from the girl working on reception so I could send him the details of my complaint.

That same afternoon I sent a letter of complaint by next day 9AM registered delivery to the head of Pendragon PLC who are the parent company of Evans Hallshaw.

Wednesday 27 February

Today Evans Hallshaw had hold of my car for a full calendar month of 31 days in total and 21 days longer than they should have due to their incompetence in losing my keycard.

First thing in the morning I email details of my complaint to the service manager of Evans Hallshaw Tony Mulhall also copying in the Evans Hallshaw regional manager for the North of England and his PA as well as sending a carbon copy to Watchdog.

10.30AM I receive a phone call re my complaint at about 10.30am and listen to the excuses for a good five minutes.

Thursday 28 Feb

Contacted 3.20pm by email saying car is ready for collection. Email back saying back in Leeds tomorrow will collect. Unbelievable that I have been contacted by them twice in two days now. It seems their customer service department only starts functioning on life support when you make a big complain about them.

Friday 29 Feb

Collected car at about 3.20pm 33 days later I finally get it back! Evans Hallshaw had hold of it 23 days longer than they should of due to their negligence in losing my keycard.

They informed me that they hadn’t received the spare second replacement keycard that they said they had ordered for me as that was coming by regular post and would take another week to arrive. Where have I heard that before? They said they would call me when it arrives but I would need to bring my car back up so it can be programmed which would just take 30 minutes.

I then take my car to Huddersfield for an MOT at 4.15pm-5.20pm, which it thankfully passed, though I did have my fingers crossed.

Due to the length of time Evans Hallshaw had hold of my car the MOT had expired and was a few weeks out of MOT so I had to pre-book and take it straight to the MOT place in Huddersfield.

Since 29 February nobody whatsoever from Evans Hallshaw Leeds has contacted me about this supposed spare Keycard they said they had ordered for me free of charge. :roll:

Nobody whatsoever from Pendragon PLC’s Head Office has responded to my letter of complaint, which they would have received on Wednesday 27 February at 9AM. :roll:

Perhaps now I should send details of this dreadful dealership to car magazines, newspapers, watchdog, trading standards etc? :hm

John
Last edited by john10001 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wanda
F1 Driver

Re: Evans HellSure Leeds - Update

Postby wanda » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:28 am

That is awful. It seems as soon as they have your keys they know money is coming their way "so why should we care" attitude comes to play.

What I find amazing is after all that they have not given you a penny for your travel expenses in the mean while, or even offered you a free courtesy car.

Thanks for that, I will make sure they will never get my custom.

GTDave
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 08 Megane 2.0DCi GT 150 Mineral Blue 3 Door Sport hatch - Tune Point - Folding Mirrors - Handsfree Card - Phone Kit

Postby GTDave » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:26 pm

That is absolutely ridiculous...

Really sorry to hear about this, and has made me think long an hard about how blessed I must actually be to have a dealership who can say and do what they say they will.

timbo*

Postby timbo* » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:07 am

Im due a service and am in leeds - its worth knowing where not to go at least!

Any suggestions ?

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:04 am

do not pay for the service until the keys are in your hand, and you have confirmed with the staff what you are being asked to pay for, before now i have insisted on seeing old parts removed and inspected the car before paying, I bet you would of been dealt with alot faster if they needed to satisfy you before you paid them........

But regardless that is terrible customer service,
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

Return to “Dealers”