Anyone Good With iTunes

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

BlacPanther1980
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane CC
Nissan Qashqai

Anyone Good With iTunes

Postby BlacPanther1980 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:36 pm

This isn't a car related question but is there anyone out there that know anything about iTunes, i have a Macbook Pro and currently over 140gb of Music i want to have the music on an external drive and link it to iTunes but need an idiots guide, so if anyone knows how please help,
Live life to the max

i11matic1795
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane II 1.4 5 door.

Re: Anyone Good With iTunes

Postby i11matic1795 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:34 pm

I run my iTunes library from an external drive, obviously you need the drive plugged in anytime you wanna use iTunes which can be a pain but nothing major, also changing song is slightly slower.

Anyway -

1. Open iTunes
2. Go to File - Library - Organize Library... (If the menu bar with File, Edit, View etc isn't there press CTRL+B and it should appear.)
3. Check the Consolidate Files box and press Ok.
iTunes will now move all of your music into the iTunes library folder, this could take a while. (it just links them to the folder normally unless the songs are bought from the iTunes store.)

4. Close iTunes
5. Open the Start menu and go to your Music folder
6. Copy the iTunes folder
7. Paste the iTunes folder somewhere on your external hard drive
8. Open iTunes again
9. Go to Edit - Preferences...
10. Go to the Advanced tab
11. Click Change... next to the iTunes Media Folder location
12. Browse to your external HDD. (This will be under the Computer tab on the left)
13. Click into the iTunes folder and select the iTunes Media folder (don't open)
14. Click the Select Folder button.

Your iTunes library is now running off your external HDD.

You will now need to delete the original iTunes folder from the Music folder on your PC, double check that everything loads through to iTunes from the external drive before doing this.

Return to “Everything Else”