Add oil to diesel for better mpg

A place for chat, jokes or anything that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Add oil to diesel for better mpg

Postby AlexB » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:42 am

VW in their disclosure over the scandal gives a lesson to all tight-... diesel owners: add a small amount of 2-stroke oil to the diesel fuel for a few extra mpg and smoother running. Concentrations 1:300 and 1:200 are mentioned in different sites.

They also overinflated the tyres by 50% and used an eco type. I don't recommend this as unsafe practice. The tyres for the UK must be A-rated for wet, have thick sidewalls and strong carcass.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

Re: Add oil to diesel for better mpg

Postby petepete » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:48 pm

rented a house in Italy with a diesel boiler and I was blowed if I was leaving a load of heating oil for the next person ...

The tank was over 2000l underground and I pumped it to the surface and filled my car and motorhome.

I m surmising I dragged up heating oil from the bottom where over the years some had evaporated off etc..

Drove the motorhome first and got a real shock as it was like a turbo had been bolted on and was incredibly powerful and the car was the same.

I managed to fill both twice before the filters clogged :banghead

MilosB
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: R. Megane 2 1.9dci sport package

Postby MilosB » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:12 am

stroke oil will make the car run smother also. those oils are very fine so no worry about clogging up a filter
Renault Megane II 1.9dci sport p. 3dr. lowered on koni's,and exhausting through sebring

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Sorry you guys lost me. Can you say that again in english?

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:21 pm

Do you know what a 2-stroke engine is? They add a special clean oil to the fuel in these engines for lubrication. VW was adding this oil to the diesel in order to improve the emissions of their engines.

wanda wrote:Sorry you guys lost me. Can you say that again in english?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

wanda
F1 Driver

Postby wanda » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:08 am

So for the type of engine they added a certain engine oil which you recon saves fuel and emissions? :hm

MilosB
Advanced Driver

Postby MilosB » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:02 am

those oils burn clean and dont smoke (if in correct ratio) and will lubricate all of the fuel system that is running dry compared to when the engine was designed (at that point the fuel was much greasier , now they are pretty much dry)
Renault Megane II 1.9dci sport p. 3dr. lowered on koni's,and exhausting through sebring

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:33 am

Exactly. Just be warned, it may contain sulphur and phosphorus, which are bad for the DPF. They used it in the emissions and not the endurance test...

wanda wrote:So for the type of engine they added a certain engine oil which you recon saves fuel and emissions? :hm
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:31 pm

Alexb said "Do you know what a 2-stroke engine is? They add a special clean oil to the fuel in these engines for lubrication. VW was adding this oil to the diesel in order to improve the emissions of their engines." :no
Interesting story and quite incorrect. ....... as every emissions test a vw bod would have to sneak up and drop this oil into every euro 5 diesel engine the emissions where controled via ecu and speed sensors which sensed engine speed and wheels revolution in certian conditions it put the engine into test mode this software is now being cleaned out and engine ecu reprogrammed takes roughly 35 mins to do only the 1.6 has to have a part asded which is a swirl chamber to mix air more effectively as well as its update the 1.6 has not been activated for its recall.
It has absolutely nothing to do with adding 2 stroke oil and if we want to be really pedantic the emissions vw group pump out before the update are NOT illegal in Europe its only the USA they are illegal.

MilosB
Advanced Driver

Postby MilosB » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:17 pm

they are illegal in EU also! as it is a fraud, you pay tax based on emissions, and these put the car in a class lower than it should be...

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:41 pm

UK there is no tax class change for any of them the driving emissions they produce in most European countries is still OK so for us it's just the fraud they are being fined for but I must say in UK sales are on the up again the USA however VW are being fined for both the fraud and the actual emissions being too high
The political issue euro 5 engines struggle to get to the "clean" level tree huggers want yet the likes of USA and China pump as much crap into the air as they can from industry, know one wants to drive a flat banging car because it's "clean". How many of us have chipped our cars and what does that do...... take out some of the euro emissions protocols from you ecu ... your car well drives superb then doesn't it.
Although it's not good what they have done I do not believe they are the only ones to have some kind of software hidden in ECU s unfortunately for them they where the first to be caught. :hm

Must say though the over inflated tyres is a new one and believe me we've heard some stories but that's a good one not sure what they would do to an emissions test when vehicle is stationary which was normally how emissions tests where done and mot wise still are . Effectively you could put 10 psi or 100 psi in ur tyres if it ain't moving it won't matter. As for ECO tyres all manufacturers use them..

MilosB
Advanced Driver

Postby MilosB » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:34 am

isnt the full eco test (for clasification) done on rolling road? in that matter it does matter a lot.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:49 pm

Eco?
Economy or emissions?

Economy has always been done on a rolling road this is how you get the Micky mouse mpg figures that nobody on the road seems to be able to match.

Emissions clearly has been stationary until recently otherwise VW would have been caught out years ago as said the ecu takes a reading from speed sensors on the wheels when ecu gets a reading of throttle increase but speed sensors ie abs take a wheel speed reading of 0mph the cheat software kicks in and drops the emissions .
Put it on a rolling road as the yanks did and oh dear me ... ecu sees the throttle open and gets a mph reading from the speed sensors (rolling road) and thinks car is operating on a non test basis so does not go into cheat mode, result?.....caught!.
Mot test in UK which is really the only emissions test we get is done stationary so it would not have alerted any one there either.
The recall process is now in full swing be interesting to see how many return in a year or so with dpf and or egr cooler issues.

MilosB
Advanced Driver

Postby MilosB » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:19 pm

eco as ecology :)
otherwise, you are correct

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:53 am

I should know I work for them. Stupid thing to do considering their reputation but I am surprised that other manufacturers have not been caught. I don't believe they are alone in side stepping emissions as we all want performance and eco friendly both really don't go hand in hand. In reality most of us in the know will map it out. Those who aren't would sell car as it is flat and noisy and buy another make which would be running cheat software. The hemp sandal brigade are taking over the world. If they had their way cars and industry would be banned.

Return to “Everything Else”