Creaking Door Hinge

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Fitzie

Creaking Door Hinge

Postby Fitzie » Mon May 21, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi all... I'm new to the site...(so new, I posted this message in the wrong section...Thanks Stranger!). I joined the site in January this year but, this is my first post... it's a great site for info and keep up the good work.

I have a 2nd hand 5 door hatch which I bought last Sept... first renault... There is a severe creak/cracking noise on the drivers door on opening and closing. It seems to be coming from the lower hinge where theres a box on top of it... I have failed to open this box!

I've grease the hinges but, it hasn't helped... My question is... Is this box for the purpose of greasng the hinge and if so, how do I open it?

TomM
Learner Driver

Postby TomM » Tue May 22, 2007 2:17 pm

I have the same creaking sound from my passenger door. I did open the top of the hinge once but couldnt see why its creaking. I would love to hear the solution to this if anyone knows...

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue May 22, 2007 2:54 pm

I think every Renault I have owned has suffered with this noise on one or both front doors. :roll: The Megane is no exception to this rule as the drivers door cracks like a gud un!

Never managed to stop it though. :(
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

costanza

Postby costanza » Tue May 22, 2007 9:24 pm

i have the same problem with the drivers door,just ordered a new hinge £34

Fitzie

Postby Fitzie » Wed May 23, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks guys... not a lot to go on here only that it seems to be hereditary!

I wouldn't mind paying the £34 (€50) if it cured it... it would be cheaper than going to a shrink as that's where I'll end up going if it continues... and the door will still creak!!!

Interested to hear if the hinge cures it Costanza!

Cheers all!

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Wed May 23, 2007 2:35 pm

The lower Door hinges are a common problem..
No amount of grease will make the noise disappear is it is the internal spring mechanism that has failed. The only solution is to replace it.

Note that the hinges come Unpainted..

The best way to replace the lower hinge is to remove the door completely, then fit the new hinge to the A pillar then refit the door. Adjustment is easy to do but you will need another pair of hands to help you lift the door on and of.. Especially the 3 door as the door is very heavy!!
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

bullfrog
Learner Driver

Postby bullfrog » Wed May 23, 2007 11:07 pm

i've got the same problem. went to the dealer cos I had a recall on the door hinge last year and they said the same lower part needs replacing, but they need to order it in and paint it first. That was about 2 weeks ago now and I've not heard anything back!! I'll be on to them tomorrow about this as its driving me nuts now. Seems with the car getting into doing 64k miles now things are going wrong. The drivers side indicator is faulty now as well! ahhhh
lol, have to laugh or i'll go mad! :twisted:

costanza

Postby costanza » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:18 pm

Fitzie wrote:Thanks guys... not a lot to go on here only that it seems to be hereditary!

I wouldn't mind paying the £34 (€50) if it cured it... it would be cheaper than going to a shrink as that's where I'll end up going if it continues... and the door will still creak!!!

Interested to hear if the hinge cures it Costanza!

Cheers all!

new hinge did the trick....thank f**k for that ,it was driving me mad lol

Fitzie

creaking Hinge

Postby Fitzie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:22 am

Thats great news Costanza... New hinge being ordered today... Cheers! :wink:

kertrats24
Currently Drives:: Megane cc 1.5dci

Re: Creaking Door Hinge

Postby kertrats24 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:26 pm

Where did you find the hinge for £34 I've been to the main sealers they said £90 +Vat

MarkSin
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II Estate

Re: Creaking Door Hinge

Postby MarkSin » Sun May 23, 2021 4:50 pm

Has anyone tried swapping the back door hinges (that don't make a horrible noise) with the front ones?
Do they even fit?

Return to “Problems / Questions”